This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1729 / 51°10'22"N
Longitude: -2.1323 / 2°7'56"W
OS Eastings: 390849
OS Northings: 141520
OS Grid: ST908415
Mapcode National: GBR 1VN.FQ0
Mapcode Global: VH97Q.0S38
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1036423
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313442
Location: Sutton Veny, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Sutton Veny
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Sutton Veny St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SUTTON VENY DUCK STREET
ST 94 SW
(off south side)
4/220 Church of St. Leonard
Anglican parish church, now redundant. C12, C13, C16, chancel arch
blocked and west part of church partly dismantled 1868, declared
redundant 1970. Rubble stone, tiled roof with hip to east end of
chancel. Former cruciform church with crossing tower, now only
chancel is intact. South side of partly dismantled nave has
double-chamfered pointed doorway with cusped niche over, string
course and two former windows either side, transept mostly
demolished. South side of chancel has blocked central pointed
doorway and blocked 3-light C16 window with Tudor-arched lights,
clasping buttresses to east end; C19 three-light Perpendicular-
style window with bolection-moulded tablet to Anne Holland died
1728 to left and tablet to William Lawes died 1794 to right. North
side of chancel has blocked lancet and two deeply chamfered
lancets, blocked Tudor-arched doorway. Dismantled north transept.
North side of nave has three blocked windows, round-arched C12
doorway with water leaf and stiff leaf capitals, missing tympanum.
West end has Tudor-arched doorway, formerly with windows over.
Interior of former nave retains trefoiled piscina on south wall,
C13 crossing with triple chamfered arches on chamfered responds.
Interior of chancel reroofed 1868 to provide mortuary chapel to
Church of St. John, completed same year, Tudor-arched doorway set
in blocked chancel arch. C12 cylindrical font set on reused pier
base. Fine collection of C18 and C19 wall tablets brought together
in chancel, many signed examples including classical marbles to
Rev. Brounker Thring died 1812, by King of Bath, to Giles Halliday
died 1827, by Reeves of Bath, and a large classical marble to
Hinton family by Randall of London. Earlier tablets include one of
1693 with good lettering to Margaret Bayly. Royal Arms of George
IV over doorway and several prayer and benefaction boards. Good
C19 stained glass in lancets on north side. (VCH, Wiltshire, Vol
8, 1965; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England - Wiltshire, 1975).
Listing NGR: ST9084941520
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings