This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2721 / 51°16'19"N
Longitude: -2.1248 / 2°7'29"W
OS Eastings: 391387
OS Northings: 152553
OS Grid: ST913525
Mapcode National: GBR 1TH.3MP
Mapcode Global: VH97B.4915
Entry Name: Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1036507
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313643
Location: Bratton, Wiltshire, BA13
Civil Parish: Bratton
Built-Up Area: Bratton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Bratton St James the Great
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
BRATTON CARPENTERS LANE
11/6 Baptist Chapel
Baptist chapel. 1734 with additions early C19 and mid C19.
Flemish bond brick, stone slate hipped roof to chapel, tiled hipped
roofs to flanking schoolrooms, brick stacks with toothed bands.
Single storey chapel with gallery, 2-storey schoolrooms. Central
round-arched 8-panelled door in bolection-moulded architrave with
keystone and imposts, semi-circular stone hood, 12-pane round-
arched sash with keystone and imposts either side, keyed rose
window over and square sundial over door, moulded stone eaves and
plain stone pilasters. Schoolrooms to either side have 4-panelled
or 6-panelled doors, one 12-pane sash to first floor. Left return
has three sashes to ground and first floor, datestone 1858. Right
return has two sashes to both floors. Rear of chapel has two
round-arched 12-pane windows and keyed rose window over, dentil
brick eaves cornice, extension of rear recorded by 1786 datestone
to first floor. Rear of schoolrooms have sashes.
Interior of chapel has gallery of 1807 on three sides with recessed
panelling, on octagonal wooden columns, plaster ceiling cornice,
box pews to ground floor and gallery, reading desk on raised dais
at north end, doors with 4 fielded panels, marble fireplace in west
schoolroom first floor. Baptists had been meeting in Erlestoke
since 1662 and in Bratton since 1701, before this chapel was built
(History of the Baptist Church, 1662-1962)
Listing NGR: ST9138752553
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings