This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0138 / 52°0'49"N
Longitude: 0.8194 / 0°49'9"E
OS Eastings: 593574
OS Northings: 238796
OS Grid: TL935387
Mapcode National: GBR RK5.PZB
Mapcode Global: VHKFC.5N02
Entry Name: Church of St Edmund
Listing Date: 23 March 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1036733
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277828
Location: Assington, Babergh, Suffolk, CO10
Civil Parish: Assington
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Assington
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
Church of St Edmund
TL 93 NW 11/32 23.3.61.
A C15 flint church with stone dressings. The chancel was rebuilt in 1830
and the west tower was rebuilt in 1863 when the church was restored.
The tower has angle buttresses, a castellated parapet and an octagonal
corner staircase turret. The nave has a castellated parapet. The south
doors were made by Thomas Elliston in 1766. The nave has braced cambered
beams with crown posts and the aisles have moulded beams and joists, with
bosses carved with heads and tudor roses. The interior fittings include
a brass of circa 1500 to a knight and lady, a brass to Robert Gurdon (d
1577) and wife, a brass to John Gurdon (d 1623) and wife, in the chancel
a double wall monument of circa 1625 with 2 pairs of kneeling figures
to Robert Gurdon (d 1577) and John Gurdon (d 1623), and in the south aisle
a wall monument to Brampton Gurdon (d 1648) and his 2 wives. Graded for
its historical value and internal features.
Listing NGR: TL9357438796
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings