This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0519 / 52°3'6"N
Longitude: 1.0248 / 1°1'29"E
OS Eastings: 607490
OS Northings: 243600
OS Grid: TM074436
Mapcode National: GBR TMQ.7X4
Mapcode Global: VHKF8.QP3C
Entry Name: College Farmhouse
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1036919
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277357
Location: Hintlesham, Babergh, Suffolk, IP8
Civil Parish: Hintlesham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Hintlesham with Chattisham
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 04 SE HINTLESHAM HADLEIGH ROAD
3/29 College Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Late C15 and C16 of several builds, C19. Timber framed, rendered,
exposed at rear, with brick ground floor casing to front and gable returns. T-plan,
3 cells, incorporating earlier cross wing to rear, and stair bay. 2 storeys,
formerly partly jettied. 3 3-light C20 diamond paned leaded casements. Elliptical
headed doorway with moulded arch and plank and muntin door. Massive C16 stack of
4 octagonal shafts with moulded bases and oversailing caps. Internal stack to left
hand gable with 2 octagonal shafts. Rear. Timber framed stair bay with blocked
window, the plaster inscribed WIK 177 - (in 1947 said to be 1771). Remains of first
floor oriel window to chamber over parlour. Interior. Left hand service bay.
Plain brackets to jetty. Blocked 4-light ovolo mullion window with saddle bars.
Chamfered cross beams with bar stops. Parlour. 4 centre arched brick fireplace
with hollow chamfered arris. Very deep and narrow roll and cavetto moulded cross
beams and roll moulded cornice. 2 panel door with the hinges. The thickness of
the front wall cavity implies formerly jettied. First floor over service bay.
Roll moulded beams with run-out stops. Blocked window to side of first floor rear
loft door. Post and tie beam with stepped stops. Elliptical arched brick fireplace
to chamber over hall. Close studded cross wing , former diamond mullion window
now internal. Rear window shutter groove. Boarded door with strap hinges.
Panelling with carpenters' mitres. Stair bay. Intact newel stair, with circular
newel post, landing balustrade with turned balusters and ball finial to newel.
C17 leaded light with original fittings. Remains of simple unmoulded crown post
roof to rear of cross wing, the hall roof with some reused smoke blackened timbers.
Clasped purlin roof to service end, clasped and butt purlin roof to parlour.
Granted to Eton College mid C16 from properties of Cardinal Wolsey. East Anglia
Daily Times, 1913.
Listing NGR: TM0749043600
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings