History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in Burstall, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.0599 / 52°3'35"N

Longitude: 1.0578 / 1°3'28"E

OS Eastings: 609716

OS Northings: 244579

OS Grid: TM097445

Mapcode National: GBR TMK.XYY

Mapcode Global: VHLBR.9H27

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 22 February 1955

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1036948

English Heritage Legacy ID: 277332

Location: Burstall, Babergh, Suffolk, IP8

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh

Civil Parish: Burstall

Built-Up Area: Burstall

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Burstall St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TM 04 SE, 3/4


Church of St Mary



Parish church. Largely early C14, C15, restored 1866, and 1870-1873 by Frederick
Barnes of Ipswich. Flint and rubble, part rendered, stone plinth, quoins and other
dressings, plain tile roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, south porch, chancel.
Early C14 square unbuttressed tower in three stages, the upper set back, embattled brick
parapet. West face, rendered niche beneath simple hollow chamfered light. Ringing
chamber, encircled quatrefoil opening with hoodmould with label stops, to north
south and west faces. Above each, a bell opening, a trefoil headed light beneath
moulded hood with worn label stops. Nave: South wall, rendered, three windows, 2-light
reticulated tracery linked by continuous impost band; south doorway restored. C19,
multiple orders of continuous wave and roll mouldings, hoodmould with figure stops,
the moulding running to continuous band at cill level of windows. Medieval door.
South porch, early C15, restored C19, rendered brick base, gabled timber upper stage,
each side a 5-bay timber arcade with cinquefoil headed openings, the spandrels
carved with floral and leaf decoration, entrance arch a single hollow chamfer to
each face, the inner spandrels also with leaf and rose decoration, embattled tie
beam, remains of niche with cusped head, cusped bargeboards. North Aisle: three
windows, 2-light reticulated and curvilinear tracery. North doorway, two orders of
roll mouldings beneath hood mould. Similar bands to those on south wall. 2-light
west window similar to those on south wall, 3-light east window with curvilinear
tracery. Chancel: East wall and east window of 3-light intersecting tracery
restored 1866. North wall, one simple lancet, one trefoil headed light, similar
light to south wall, single hollow chamfered south doorway.

INTERIOR: Tower arch
c1300, largely blocked by 1980's organ. Encircled quatrefoil sanctus bell opening.
Nave, 4-bay arcade, very early C14, of very finely moulded piers and responds, the
west and east faces of the piers having capitals with two bands of fleurons and animal
heads. To north and south faces, the pier mouldings run continuously into the arch,
giving a semi-stilted form, with a figure head boss at the junction; arches of
multiple moulded orders. 4-bay hammer-beam roof, C15 restored 1870's, angels
terminate hammer-beam, corbels in form of faces or foliage, moulded collars, ridge
and side purlins, cornice and frieze, the latter with continuous cusped wave motif.
North Aisle: Moulded rear arches to windows, impost band on north and south walls,
on east incorporates the head of a niche to each side of window, and terminates
in figure stop at angle with arcade. Each niche trefoil headed, beneath pointed
canopy, crowned to left by foliate cluster, to right by mutilated foliage, traces
of red paint. Blocked rood stair doorway. Blocked north. doorway. Roof with
moulded cornice, purlins and rafters. Parclose screen, early C14, timber, open
traceried panels, each light separated by an annulated shaft with moulded base and
cap, the tracery using various mouchette motifs, that to right of doorway with a
pointed head. Ogee headed archway beneath two encircled quatrefoils.
Similar treatment to half-height opening on south side of screen, stepped embattled parapet.
(Cf Westhorpe Church, Mid Suffolk).

Stone tablet to Edward Cage twice Bailif (sic)
of Ipswich d. 9 August 1607, his 3rd wife d. 1631, William Cage his son, 7 times
Bailif (sic) of Ipswich d. 4 November 1645. Nave and aisle benches, some medieval,
but with replaced shortened poppy-heads. Font, octagonal, with four recessed flat
panels, octagonal base, four plain octagonal shafts and one central round stem.
Chancel: Roof, C15 embattled cornice, C19 queen-strut, straight-braced, collar
rafter roof. Screen base, C15, blind cusped Perpendicular traceried panels.
Medieval poppy-head benches. Sedilia with ogee headed niche to each side at cill
level; trefoil headed piscina with plain drain.

Listing NGR: TM0971644579

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.