History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Valley House

A Grade II Listed Building in Raydon, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.012 / 52°0'43"N

Longitude: 0.9832 / 0°58'59"E

OS Eastings: 604826

OS Northings: 239045

OS Grid: TM048390

Mapcode National: GBR SLQ.WYY

Mapcode Global: VHKFG.0P4G

Plus Code: 9F422X6M+R7

Entry Name: Valley House

Listing Date: 29 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1036967

English Heritage Legacy ID: 277263

Location: Raydon, Babergh, Suffolk, IP7

County: Suffolk

Civil Parish: Raydon

Built-Up Area: Raydon

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Raydon St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Layham

Description

RAYDON

TM 03 NW
3/19

B1070
(east side)

Valley House
II

Valley Lodge on O.S. map. House. C16 with C17 flooring over and insertion of
stack. Remodelled 1911. Later C20 alterations include post-war re-roofing to
part. Timber-framed, rendered. Additions in painted brick. Plain tile roof. Red
brick stacks. L-plan, original open hall probably converted to lobby-entry C17
with cross wing to left. Gabled cross wing to right of 1911. Present door to left
main range, 6-panel door under gabled porch. Features of 1911 include 2-storey
gabled bay with cross casements, small 3-light window against stack and cross
casement to right, the latter two windows under hoodmoulds. C19 flush sashes with
margin glazing to 1st floor. Original cross wing has French windows under hood on
consoles, flush sash to 1st floor and bargeboards to gable. Interior: sections of
frame visible. Red brick inglenook with tongue-stopped bressummer. Chamfered
beams and exposed joists. Room to 1st floor chamfered beam with tongue stop. Main
range roof shows smoke-blackened rafters of original roof incorporated into clasped
purlin roof which survives beneath post-war roof. Photographs in possession of
owner show house before and after remodelling of 1911.

Listing NGR: TM0482639045

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.