History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade I Listed Building in Brandon, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.4446 / 52°26'40"N

Longitude: 0.6133 / 0°36'47"E

OS Eastings: 577707

OS Northings: 286173

OS Grid: TL777861

Mapcode National: GBR QBB.RW2

Mapcode Global: VHJFN.LT2B

Plus Code: 9F42CJV7+R8

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 7 May 1954

Last Amended: 2 October 1984

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1037592

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275813

Location: Brandon, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP27

County: Suffolk

District: West Suffolk

Civil Parish: Brandon

Built-Up Area: Brandon

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Brandon with Wangford St Peter and St Denys

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


TL 78 NE

Church of St. Peter

(Formerly listed under General)


Church. Medieval, restored 1873. Nave, chancel, west tower, north porch,
south aisle, south chapel. Flint rubble with freestone dressings, parapets
and parapet gables. Slated roofs; the tower and porch flat, leaded. The core
of chancel probably late C13; north doorway with hood-mould; the scrolled dado
rail around the inner chancel wall rises to outline its rear-arch. A pair of
polygonal angle-turrets at the east end have stone pyramid roofs and
pinnacles, restored 1873. Chancel windows perhaps early C14; net-traceried 5-
light east window, and 2-light in north and south walls. The south window has
dropped-cill sedilia with trefoiled squinches. 2 original gargoyles on north
side. South nave arcade of originally 4-bays, late C13, with slender
trefoiled piers, and similar chancel arch with engaged columns. Moulded
arched north nave doorway of early C14, hoodmoulded with good mask drip
stones. West tower added early C15: 3 tall stages with angle buttresses,
crenellated parapet with sunk trefoils and mask gargoyles, large 2-light
belfry openings. West doorway with C19 door having tracery of early C15 type
- perhaps a fair copy of the original; above it an early C15 window of 3
lights. The inner doorway to the tower stairs has its original iron-clad
door. Porch probably C15, with 2-light side windows, the doorway with
pilasters renewed early C16. Beside the north doorway is a pillar stoup with
traceried stem and moulded bowl. The C15 door has a trailing-leaf carved
border. C15 south aisle with moulded south doorway. In early C16 major
alterations made to south and west part of church: a 5th arch added to nave
arcade, also the tower arch rebuilt. South chapel added with 3-light windows
and an arched opening into the aisle. A rood screen extended from north to
south walls across chancel-and chapel-arches; rood-loft stair turrets remain,
attached to north and south walls, and a blocked doorway at south end. Lower
part of screen is almost complete; the-boarding has applied tracery and some
original decoration; the upper part added 1930. A 2-bay arcade links chapel
to chancel. The roofs were renewed throughout in 1873: in the nave a 5-bay
hammer-beam roof with arch-braced collars (the aisle roof is similar), in the
chancel principal rafters and collars have vigorous soffit-cusping, echoed by
wind-braced purlins. Font of c.1300 with plain octagonal bowl and stem and 8
supporting detached shafts with moulded caps and bases. 4 good C15 choir-
stalls with poppyhead ends, buttresses and traceried fronts. In the nave are
about 17 poppyhead bench ends of C15 or C16, some with buttresses and carved
figures, reused in new pews of 1873. 3 further poppyhead ends of c.1600, also
reused. The marble altar reredos of 1873 has Italian carved alabaster
medallions. In the west tower window is stained glass dated 1864; similar
glazing is in the west aisle and east chancel windows. On the south chapel
wall a painted panel records the bequest of Mrs. Anne Wilder, nee Diggon,

Listing NGR: TL7770786173

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.