This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2445 / 52°14'40"N
Longitude: 0.4025 / 0°24'9"E
OS Eastings: 564125
OS Northings: 263419
OS Grid: TL641634
Mapcode National: GBR N9Y.6LZ
Mapcode Global: VHJGH.XVP7
Plus Code: 9F426CV3+Q2
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 28 November 1950
Last Amended: 26 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1037636
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275717
Location: Newmarket, West Suffolk, Suffolk, CB8
Civil Parish: Newmarket
Built-Up Area: Newmarket
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Newmarket St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
NEWMARKET (including EXNING)
ST. MARY'S SQUARE
CHURCH OF ST MARY
(Formerly listed under Church Lane, General)
Church. Medieval, with major alterations of mid and late C19.
Nave, chancel, south and north aisles, west tower, north vestry,
south porch. Flint rubble with limestone dressings and parapets
to aisles, tower vestry and porch. Slated roofs to nave and
chancel; shingled spire, other roofs flat. The C15 tower little
altered, with fine oak-framed spire and tall tower arch; the west
window inserted mid C19. South nave arcade with quatrefoil piers
and aisle are basically C14; much restored including replacement
of roof and windows in Perpendicular style, C19. A C15 piscina in
the south aisle wall. South doorway C15 with moulded arch and
carved angel in the apex. C15 porch, heavily restored c.1876.
The chancel completely rebuilt 1856; a late C13 piscina, vaulted
and with an angle-shaft, was uncovered and reset. The north
transept demolished and replaced by north aisle and organ chamber
1868, with arcade and other detailing to match south aisle.
Roofs of aisles and nave C19; oak-framed arched-braced collar
trusses. All furnishings C19. About 15 wall tablets in both
aisles, mainly of late C18 and early C19, but one dated 1683. A
window in the south aisle by Kempe and Tower, 1907.
Listing NGR: TL6412563419
Other nearby listed buildings