This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0545 / 52°3'16"N
Longitude: 1.1579 / 1°9'28"E
OS Eastings: 616603
OS Northings: 244278
OS Grid: TM166442
Mapcode National: GBR TMW.5KB
Mapcode Global: VHLBT.0MZC
Entry Name: Tooley Court tooley's and Smart's Almshouses
Listing Date: 4 August 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1037738
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275466
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4
Electoral Ward/Division: Alexandra
Built-Up Area: Ipswich
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Mary-le-Tower
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1260 FOUNDATION STREET
Tooley's and Smart's
TM 1644 SE 4/77
Founded in 1550 by Henry Tooley with additional endowments in 1591 by William
Smart. The whole establishment was rebuilt in 1846 and there are some C20
additions on the east side. The present buildings are on 3 sides of a garden
court with an entrance gatehouse on the west side. Red brick. 2 storeys.
Each block has 8 window range grouped 1:3:3:1, casements in chamfered reveals.
The window openings now have painted rustications. The side wings have double
ranges with enclosed yards between. The ends have open staircases with heavy
balustrade pillars and are surmounted by cables with moulded brick copings
and moulded pillar pinnacles. Roofs tiled, with 3 square chimney stacks
with moulded caps and base on each block, The central lodge and gate house facing on
to Foundation Street is in red brick with some timber-framed construction
with brick nogging. A central jettied gable has an oriel bay window with
leaded lattice lights above a 4 centred arched doorway. To the left of the
entrance way there is a timber-framed octagonal tower with brick nogging
and a shaped lead domed roof which rises above the gable roof.
Tooley's and Smart's Almhouses form a group with No 32.
Listing NGR: TM1660344278
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings