This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0032 / 53°0'11"N
Longitude: -1.9211 / 1°55'15"W
OS Eastings: 405391
OS Northings: 345101
OS Grid: SK053451
Mapcode National: GBR 37B.M41
Mapcode Global: WHBCY.GSF1
Entry Name: Bolton Memorial Free Church
Listing Date: 17 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1037848
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275139
Location: Oakamoor, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST10
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Oakamoor
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Oakamoor Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK 0445-0545 OAKAMOOR C.P. CARR BANK (West side)
- Bolton Memorial Free Church
Free church. 1876. By Edward F.C. Clarke of London. Rock faced
ashlar with smooth faced ashlar dressings; plain tile roof with
crested ridge tiles and coped verges. Gothic style; 3-bay nave with
west porch, single-bay chancel, north vestry, south-east chapel and porch.
Nave: paired trefoil headed lights; gabled bellcote with trefoil-headed
arch; lean-to porch at west end, pointed south gateway with roll and
fillet moulded arch, chamfered and stopped jambs and wrought iron gate,
sundial to the left. Chancel: pointed east window of 3 trefoil-
headed lights and Geometrical tracery and returned hood mould, north
window similar to those of the nave. South-east chapel and porch:
chapel has a pointed south window of 2 trefoil-headed lights and
Geometrical tracery, above is a small blind 2-light pointed window.
Porch to the west has a 3-light ovolo-moulded mullioned south window
and west door with ovolo-moulded Caernarvon arch. Interior: no
structural division between nave and chancel; 3 bay blind arcade to
the west with pointed arches on cylindrical columns with bell capitals
and waterholding bases, the left hand arch contains the Caernarvon arch
door to the west porch; barrel roof with one pair of purlins and ridge
piece. Fittings: quadrilobe stone font with fillet moulded clustered
shafts and moulded base and basin; full set of panelled pews with
shaped and moulded ends; rectangular stone pulpit with early C14 style
leaf decoration and 2 pointed arches to the front containing Geometrical
tracery. Stained glass: good east window dated 1878 by Powell, also
noteworthy are the chancel north window and the nave south and north
windows. B.O.E. p. 214.
Listing NGR: SK0539145101
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings