This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0423 / 53°2'32"N
Longitude: -1.8845 / 1°53'4"W
OS Eastings: 407840
OS Northings: 349458
OS Grid: SK078494
Mapcode National: GBR 36Z.BCC
Mapcode Global: WHCDX.0SWJ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St Lawrence
Listing Date: 3 January 1967
Last Amended: 17 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1037860
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275170
Location: Waterhouses, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST10
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Waterhouses
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Cauldon St Mary and St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK 04 NE WATERHOUSES C.P. CAULDON
3/1/67 Church of St. Mary and
St. Lawrence (formerly listed
as Church of St Mary Cauldon)
Chapel-of-ease. 1781-4 the chancel incorporating some earlier,
probably C14, material. Ashlar and coursed and squared rubble with
rusticated ashlar quoins of unequal length; plain tile and slate roofs
with coped verges. West tower, 3-bay nave with north aisle and south
porch, single-bay chancel, north-west vestry in the angle between the
aisle and west tower. West tower: 2 stages with chamfered parapet
band and low parapet with corner pinnacles; circular window to ground
floor south with moulded surround, single-light belfry openings with
semi-circular heads. Nave: semi-circular arch windows with moulded
surrounds and raised reeded keystones, cyma recta moulded eaves
cornice and low parapet. North aisle has plain windows with semi-
circular arches. Gabled south porch dated 1885 with semi-circular
outer arch and dripstone springing from chamfered imposts, leading to
a doorway with shouldered head. Chancel: semi-circular arch windows
with chamfered surrounds, pointed south doorway. Vestry: west door
and north window both with semi-circular arch. Interior: north arcade
of semi-circular arches springing from square section piers with cyma
recta moulded capitals, blind rectangular panels above the arches; wide
semi-circular chancel arch springing from moulded imposts; chamfered
west doorway with semi-circular arch; nave roof has tie beams
supported on timber cantilevers, short stubby king-posts, one pair of
purlins and a ridge piece; the chancel roof has raking struts extending
from tie beams to principals, shaped collars, one pair of purlins and a
ridge piece. Fittings: coat of arms of George IV dated 1829; very
plain C19 octagonal stone font with moulded base; early C19 wooden
pulpit with trefoil headed openwork panels; wall panelling to chancel;
early C19 altar rail with cinquefoil headed arcading. Monuments:
several wall plaques, each surmounted by an urn: Nave south wall:
Sarah Cropper died 1814, marble, inscription panel with curtains drawn
to each side. Chancel, north wall: Sampson Wheildon, died 1807.
Chancel south wall: William Marshall, died 1800; Jane Wilmott, died 1843.
Stained glass: east window of 1936, crucifixion scene. B.O.E. p. 94.
Listing NGR: SK0784049458
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings