This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9384 / 52°56'18"N
Longitude: -1.9598 / 1°57'35"W
OS Eastings: 402798
OS Northings: 337890
OS Grid: SK027378
Mapcode National: GBR 381.WW3
Mapcode Global: WHBD9.VDYP
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 3 January 1967
Last Amended: 8 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1037959
English Heritage Legacy ID: 274904
Location: Checkley, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST10
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Checkley
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Checkley St Mary and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK 03 NW; 9/100
CHURCH LANE (north side)
Church of St. Mary
(formerly listed as Church of St Mary and All Saints)
Parish church. C12 core with work of early C14. C15 and substantially
rebuilt C17. Finely coursed, squared and dressed yellow sandstone;
lead covered roofs invisible behind parapets. West tower, nave, north
and south aisles, south porch and chancel.
Tower of approximately five
stages with thin buttresses of three stages; tower is stepped-in below bell
chamber; string with gargoyles below plain parapet which has small
(almost insignificant) crocketed pinnacles at angles, C17 bell chamber
openings are round arched with two-light panel tracery (with transoms),
lancets below; blind west window round-arched with pilasters in double
reveal over 3-light panel tracery window. Nave: C17 clerestory windows;
crenellated parapet on string; rainwater heads carry the date 1810.
North aisle: of three buttressed bays with crenellated parapet; two
labelled, almost round-arched C17 3-light windows on moulded cill band
and pointed entrance in smaller east bay; east and west end windows with
intersecting tracery. South aisle: of three bays similar to north,
three-light, labelled square-headed windows, pointed 3-light east and
west end windows. South door circa 1300 pointed with deep moulded reveal,
three pilasters, ball-flower towards extrados and moulded finial; south porch
has rib vault and solid stone roof with pointed outer entrance. Chancel:
late C13 of four bays divided by thin buttresses of two stages; pointed
3-light windows with moulded, deep reveals and intersecting tracery,
similar 5-light east window with fleuron decoration at intersections of
tracery; Tudor arch priest door to right of centre bay on south side.
INTERIOR: nave of four bays: pointed arcade, circular columns but the
central column on the north side is octagonal and on the south side
clustered. Pointed chancel arch of early C13 with steps up to chancel.
Nave roof of low pitch; stubby posts off moulded tie beams carry moulded
purlins; chancel roof similar but with panel tracery in the space between
tie beam and roof. Aisle roofs of C19 with pent tie beams. Pulpit:
stone, C19, four sides of an octagon with arcading. Font: C12 drum-shaped
with low relief carving depicting a donkey. Choir stalls: circa 1535
with poppyhead finials. Monument: cross legged C14 knight to chancel
north and effigy of Godfrey Foljambe and wife to south on alabaster
crest circa 1560; four marble plaques to east of south aisle including
one to the Phillips family of Tean House (qv); hatchment over south
door. Glass: C14 glass in chancel.
Listing NGR: SK0279237889
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings