This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9534 / 52°57'12"N
Longitude: -1.9867 / 1°59'12"W
OS Eastings: 400989
OS Northings: 339552
OS Grid: SK009395
Mapcode National: GBR 26H.VZ1
Mapcode Global: WHBD9.G156
Entry Name: New Tean Hall Mill
Listing Date: 3 January 1967
Last Amended: 8 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1037964
English Heritage Legacy ID: 274922
Location: Checkley, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST10
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Checkley
Built-Up Area: Upper Tean
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Upper Tean Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/10/2012
New Tean Hall Mill
(Formerly listed as HIGH STREET UPPER TEAN TAPE RECTORY)
Tape weaving factory and warehouse, built by the firm J and N Philips of Checkley. Principal elements late C18, early C19, 1822, 1876, 1884, 1930. C19 and C20 additions and alterations.
Buildings fronting the south side of High Street comprise late C18, early C19 and 1884 ranges running E - W, with an off-centre cart entrance. This gives access to a quadrilateral courtyard with a similar cart entrance on its S side. Attached to the S side of the front range, approximately central, a factory range dated 1822, running NE - SW, and forming a T-plan. To west, parallel factory ranges, mainly with north-light roofs, 1876 and c1930.
Street frontage has to left and centre 3-storey ranges, 11 bays, red brick with Welsh slate roofs and dentillated eaves. Pediment, 2 bays, set in 2 bays from the left, with clock. Octagonal bellcote cupola on the main ridge behind it. Windows are mainly reglazed casements, those to the lower floors mainly with brick flat arches and corniced keystones. Angled entrance bay to right has elliptical arched double doors to cart entrance. At the rear, 2-storey additions, c1820 and c1840, 4 bays, with large wooden cross-casements.
To right, 1884 range, similar materials, by William Stephens & Son of Leek. 2 storeys, 8 bays, with centre and end bays defined by pilasters. Plinth, sill band, eaves cornice, central pediment with datestone. Symmetrical fenestration with wooden cross-casements. 2 ground floor windows in the centre have round arches, as do the window and doorway in the left and right end bays. At the rear, square dust flue with pyramidal cap. Attached to the rear, addition c1876, 2 storeys, 4 bays, with gabled roofs. Attached to its S side, additions early C20 and c1930, 6 and 10 bays, with north-light roofs.
Main factory building, 1822, similar materials, 4 storeys, 5 x 27 bays, has 3 shallow projections with pediments on each long side, and WC tower, 1860, on E side. Windows are mainly original cast iron glazing bar casements. Integral boiler and engine house at N end, 3 storeys, 4 bays, has similar fenestration and large segment arched ground floor opening, now blocked. Attached to its W side, stove building, 1829, 2 storeys, 3 bays, with through-passage and similar fenestration.
C18 and early C19 front ranges, remodelled later C20, have queen post and kingpost roofs. C19 slate fireplace on first floor at east end.
Early C19 rear range has similar roofs and wooden floors on thin cast iron columns.
Main 1822 factory building and boiler/engine house have fireproof construction with cast iron beams and columns and brick jack arches. Office has window with cast iron Gothic tracery.
1876 range has wooden floors on round cast iron columns with square bases. Part of this range has slender columns with bearing boxes.
1884 range has wooden floors and central cast iron columns, and queen post roofs.
C20 north-light ranges have steel framework with brick cladding.
Listing NGR: SK0098939552
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings