History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Finneylane Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cheddleton, Staffordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.0794 / 53°4'45"N

Longitude: -2.0066 / 2°0'23"W

OS Eastings: 399654

OS Northings: 353577

OS Grid: SJ996535

Mapcode National: GBR 24X.X3J

Mapcode Global: WHBCJ.4VRM

Entry Name: Finneylane Farmhouse

Listing Date: 15 December 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1038109

English Heritage Legacy ID: 274565

Location: Cheddleton, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Cheddleton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Cheddleton St Edward the Confessor

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SJ 95 SE
5/75 Finneylane Farmhouse

- II*

Farmhouse. Dated 1610 with minor C20 alterations. Roughly coursed
dressed and squared stone with more finely-worked block quoins and
window surrounds; tiled roof; pitched verge parapets and ball
finials; coursed ashlar ridge stack to right of centre and side stacks.
H-plan type with through-passage. 2-storey and attic, 5-window front
with projecting flanking gables; left-hand gable has labelled 2-light
chamfered mullioned window to attic over similar 3-light window at
first floor and C20 but sympathetic 4-light window to ground floor;
right gable similar with 3-, 5- and C20 three-light window to ground
floor in enlarged opening; datestone over first-floor window inscribed:
WfAF ;set-back hall wing has two C20 windows to ground floor and
1610 C17 chamfered mullioned 4-light window to left of first
floor and 2-light window to right over lean-to porch set
in return against right-hand wing with Tudor-arch entry and set-back
boarded door; further mullioned windows to sides and rear. Interior:
through-passage runs against stone fire back of hall stack, upper
(north) end of hall has stud and plank partition, large chamfered
beam over fireplace to south. Garderobe to upper chamber to north
of hall; first-floor solar window with cavetto reveals. Tie beam
roof with double purlins bearing windbraces above and below. Further
stud and plank partition (reset) to first floor. The house was built
by William and Anne Finney.

Listing NGR: SJ9965453577

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.