This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0534 / 53°3'12"N
Longitude: -1.8035 / 1°48'12"W
OS Eastings: 413269
OS Northings: 350698
OS Grid: SK132506
Mapcode National: GBR 487.DWC
Mapcode Global: WHCDY.8JG2
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Cross
Listing Date: 1 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1038155
English Heritage Legacy ID: 274471
Location: Ilam, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, DE6
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Ilam
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Ilam
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK 15 SW; 8/113
Church of the Holy Cross
Parish Church. The core is probably C11, partly rebuilt in C13 and extended
in 1618 and 1831; the church underwent major restoration in 1855-6 under the
direction of Sir George Gilbert Scott. Coursed and squared rubble with ashlar
quoins and dressings; clay tile roofs with bands of shaped tiles and coped
verges. West tower; 3-bay nave; Chancel; North aisle; NE and SE chapels.
West Tower: C13 lancet to ground floor on South side; restored West window of
two trefoil headed lights; two trefoiled belfry openings to each side Saddleback
roof. Nave: South side has one tall C13 lancet to the left and a restored C14
window of three trefoil-headed lights beneath a square head to right; this
encroaches on a blocked, probably Anglo-Saxon, roundheaded doorway; C19
gabled porch to left. Chancel: The East window of 1855-6 has three cusped, graded
lancets framed by nook shafts with naturalistic foliage to the capitals and
a continuous hood mould terminating in busts of a king and queen. North Aisle:
Late C13 style windows of two cusped lights with pointed trefoil above; door to
right; West window tracery incorporates a 6-lobed star. N E Chapel: 1831.
Octagonal plan; biggest feature of church and almost free-standing; windows
have 4-centred arches, cusped, intersecting tracery and hood moulds; each of
the four northernmost faces has a trefoiled head loop. Buttresses at the angles
terminate in small gables decorated with buses. S E Chapel: St Bertram's
Chapel. Date over south door presumably refers to restoration of former
Charity Chapel. "RM/RP1/NH/1618". Windows have square heads with ogee and
sunken spandrels; Tudor arch doorway with hood mould terminating in busts.
INTERIOR: North arcade by Scott: cylindrical columns with moulded bases and
capitals; roll moulding and roll and fillet moulding to pointed arches;
naturalistic foliage at springing point. Chancel arch by Scott, pointed with
three orders of moulding: roll, kell, and roll and fillet; engaged columns with
naturalistic foliage to capitals; hood mould terminating in busts of a queen
and a bishop. Tower arch: Pointed and chamfered arch springing from corbels.
Nave roof is of crown post construction with scissor bracing, bolted rather
than jointed. Chancel: Reredos by Scott; small aumbry on N side; wagon roof.
David Pike Watts Memorial Chapel: Moulded vaulting ribs springing from corbels
with angels carved on them; bosses along the ridge rib with armorial bearings
surrounded by naturalistic foliage; frieze around foot of walls consisting of
lozenge shapes containing quatrefoils. Fittings: Font Romanesque, probably
C12, circular bowl with figures carved on sides. Rood screen and screen on
South side of Chancel; designed by Scott and made by Skidmore of Coventry;
wrought iron with arrangements of flowers and foliage with arches and
quatrefoils in the squares. Monuments: Meverell Monument: Alabaster; two reclining
figures coats of arms to side and end of chest tomb. Inscribed: "HERE LYETH
Y BODIES / OF ROBERT MEVE / RELE ESQV. & ELIZ / HIS WIFE DAUGiiTER / TO S.
THO. FLEMING / KNI.T & LORD CHIEF JUSTICE OF Y KINDS / BENCH BY WHO HE / HAD
ISSUE ONLY ONE / DAUGHT WHO MARRIED THO. LORD CROMWELL( VISCONTE LE GAILE /
WCH."ROBERT DIED THE 5TH OF FEBR . AN ° 1626 / & ELIZAB TH / DEPARTED 5TH OF
AVGVST 1626". Above is a wall monument depicting Meverell's daughter and her
three young children all kneeling within an aedicule of Corinthian columns
supporting a semi-circular arch; surmounted by a pedestal with upraised hand
brandishing a sword, shields to either side. Shrine of St Bertelin: probably
C14; open quatrefoils to sides and ends of chest. David Pike Watts Memorial
by Sir Francis Chantrey: Male figure sitting up to receive a kneeling
female figure. and 3 children; chest tomb below has panelled sides with
armorial bearings. A large and impressive piece of sculpture.
Listing NGR: SK1326850697
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings