This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7345 / 52°44'4"N
Longitude: -2.4033 / 2°24'11"W
OS Eastings: 372867
OS Northings: 315286
OS Grid: SJ728152
Mapcode National: GBR BZ.0YXH
Mapcode Global: WH9CY.1JWH
Plus Code: 9C4VPHMW+RM
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 18 June 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1038247
English Heritage Legacy ID: 362263
Location: Lilleshall, Telford and Wrekin, TF10
County: Telford and Wrekin
Civil Parish: Lilleshall
Built-Up Area: Lilleshall
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Lilleshall St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 71NW 24/403,
Church of St Michael and All Angels
Sandstone ashlar church with tiled roof. Late Norman nave, the south doorway has
two orders of shafts with shaft rings, arches with zigzags and keeled roll moulding.
Another Norman south doorway probably re-set, with zigzag moulding in 2-centred arch,
and shaft capitals with waterleaf. C19 traceried 3-light south nave windows.
Late C19 gabled south porch, timber-framed and ashlar.
Early English Chancel was lengthened in early C14 with restored 5-light east window
with reticulated tracery. Lancet and round-arched doorway on south wall of chancel.
Straight-headed north chancel window with three ogee-arched lights.
Early C14 long north aisle with Decorated 3-light east and 2-light west windows.
Decorated C19 north windows and three buttresses with set-offs.
Short perpendicular west tower with angle buttresses, moulded battlements, crocketed
pinnacles and quatrefoil frieze. Two-light bell-openings, the mullion and tracery
have been taken out except on the east side. Three-light Perpendicular vest window
INTERIOR: Five-bay north arcade with chamfered pointed arches, short octagonal piers
with octagonal capitals and bases. Nave and chancel roof have arched braces,
collars and tie-beams with brackets underneath, and small cusped wind-braces.
Two-centred arch from chancel to north aisle. Norman cylindrical font has dreaded
sides with simple decoration and C19 base. Good monument in chancel to
Richard Leveson 1661 and his wife 1674 - 2 reclining figures with flanking columns
and pediment and putto outside. Royal Arms to Charles II. Stained glass in chancel
east window by Evans.
The gravestones have been moved and most have been set against the churchyard boundary
wall where there are a few C18 but mostly C19 headstones.
Listing NGR: SJ7286615287
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings