This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0383 / 53°2'17"N
Longitude: -2.3713 / 2°22'16"W
OS Eastings: 375202
OS Northings: 349066
OS Grid: SJ752490
Mapcode National: GBR 02C.FBM
Mapcode Global: WH9BD.KW1N
Entry Name: Betley Old Hall
Listing Date: 2 December 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1038588
English Heritage Legacy ID: 273324
Location: Betley, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, CW3
Civil Parish: Betley
Built-Up Area: Betley
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Betley St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
BETLEY C.P. MAIN STREET (west side)
SJ 74 NE
Betley Old Hall
Farmhouse. Mid-C15, extended and internally remodelled in the late
C16/early C17, and extended again in the C19. Timber framed with plastered
infill panels; plain tile roof; brick ridge stack to the hall range and
lateral external stack to the cross-wing. Originally a hall-house com-
prising a 4-bay range aligned north-east/south-west with a 2-bay single-
storey hall to the north-east and a combined service and solar block
to the south-west containing a cross-passage. A cross-wing was added
to the north-east end in the late C16/early C17 to form a T-shaped plan.
Further C19 extensions to the north-east. North-west elevation. 2
storeys with 2 tiers of closely spaced studs. Gabled cross-wing to
the left with coved eaves and decorative framing of diagonally placed
struts. In front of the gable is a low 019 extension and chimney stack.
The hall range has 2 ground storey casements and a roughly central door.
Blocked mullion window to first floor right. Right hand gable-end return
is plastered and painted to imitate timber framing. South-east elevation.
Hall range to the left: scattered fenestration, C20 door to the right,
blocked door with cambered arch to centre, cross-wing to the right with
coved overhanging gable: collar and tie beam roof truss with V-struts
above the collar and central vertical strut below, the latter flanked
by diagonal bracing. Both sides of the wing have 3 tiers of closely
spaced studs and the right hand side has a massive brick stack with crow
stepped parapet. Interior. The north-west door gives access to a
lobby formed by the insertion of a chimney stack into the former cross-
passage. To the right a door leads into the former services and another
to the left opens to the hall. Directly in front of the door is a stair-
case which ascends to the solar occupying the first floor over the services
and cross-passage. The hall is now divided by a first floor, probably
inserted at the same time as the chimney stack. It has 2 bays of unequal
length divided by an open arch braced truss, the braces springing from
chamfered wall shafts with moulded capitals. The roof has side purlins
and curved wind braces. At the upper end of the hall are a series of
peg holes in the wall which may have accommodated the fittings for a
bench, and also a door with a four-centred head which communicates with
the cross-wing. The solar is also divided into 2 bays by an arch braced
truss the braces of which spring from wall posts with chamfered fillets.
In the cross-wing is a parlour (The Oak Room) with early C17 wall panelling
incorporating venches, cupboards and doors and bearing an inscription:
"RE FE / DA. GLORY / AM. DEO. / 1621 / AUSTICIA. SINE. PRUDENTIA. PLURIMUM.
POTERIT. SINE. JUSTICIA. NIAIL. VALEBIT. PRUDENTIA." Early C17 fireplace
with 4-centred arch, moulded surround and strapwork frieze. One of
the bricks is inscribed "RW 1626". The fireplace is flanked by fluted
columns which aparently support the ends of a pair of chamfered ceiling
beams with pyramid stops. In the centre bay of the wing is a C17 newel
staircase with octagonal section newel and splat balusters around the
top of the stair well.
Listing NGR: SJ7520249066
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings