This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7439 / 52°44'38"N
Longitude: -1.9031 / 1°54'11"W
OS Eastings: 406638
OS Northings: 316257
OS Grid: SK066162
Mapcode National: GBR 3BF.ZM4
Mapcode Global: WHBF9.Q9Y9
Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of St Thomas, Hawkesyard Priory
Listing Date: 28 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1038764
English Heritage Legacy ID: 272849
Location: Armitage with Handsacre, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS15
Civil Parish: Armitage with Handsacre
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Armitage St John Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
ARMITAGE WITH HANDSACRE C.P. ARMITAGE LANE
SK Ol NE
6/3 Roman Catholic Church
of St. Thomas,Hawkes-
Priory Church. Circa 1900 to designs by E. Goldie. Red brick (English
bond) with ashlar dressings; roof hidden behind a plain parapet. 9-
bay nave and chancel in one with north-west and south-west chapels and
with porch and corner buttresses with crocketed pinnacles. The church
encloses the south side of the quadrangle around which the conventual
buildings were erected. Doorway of 3 moulded orders and 4-centered arch.
East window of 7 cinquefoil-headed lights and panel tracery beneath a
Tudor arch with hood mould terminating in carved angels bearing shields.
At the apex of the east gable is a canopied niche containing a statue.
Pointed north and south windows of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with panel
tracery and returned hood moulds. South porch with diagonal buttresses
and wide Tudor-arch entrance. Cast iron rainwater heads with crenellations.
Interior. Hammer beam roof with carved angels attached to the soffits
of the hammerbeams over the chancel. Nearly full height stone reredos
with a multitude of canopied niches containing statues. Full set of
stalls with elaborately carved backs. Fan vaulted south chapel. Organ
case of 1700-1 from Eton College carved with cherubs. Around the walls
of the nave a series of stone tablets in the style of Eric Gill. Conventual
buildings to the north not of special interest. B.o.E. p. 62.
Listing NGR: SK0663816257
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings