This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.613 / 52°36'46"N
Longitude: -1.7003 / 1°42'1"W
OS Eastings: 420388
OS Northings: 301738
OS Grid: SK203017
Mapcode National: GBR 4FS.2YF
Mapcode Global: WHCH3.VLH4
Plus Code: 9C4WJ77X+6V
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 29 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1038787
English Heritage Legacy ID: 272802
Location: Fazeley, Lichfield, Staffordshire, B78
Civil Parish: Fazeley
Built-Up Area: Fazeley
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Fazeley St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK 2001 NW FAZELEY C.P. COLESHILL STREET (North-
13/49 Church of St. Paul
Parish church. 1853-5. By H.J. Stevens of Derby at the expense of
Sir Robert Peel. Random rubble with ashlar dressings; slate roof.
6-bay nave with north and south aisles and south porch, single-bay
chancel, 2-bay western annexe and north-east vestry. West annexe:
west window comprises a pair of lancets with plate traceried quatrefoil
beneath a common hood mould with stiff-leaf stops, 2 pointed north windows
each with hood mould and stiff leaf stops; pointed south door with
colonettes and roll moulded arch. Nave and aisles: bay divisions
marked by buttresses, each bay has a pair of lancets with hood mould, the
western bay has a single lancet, the west windows of the aisles are
paired lancets, plate traceried quatrefoil beneath a common hood mould,
the east window of the south aisle is of a similar pattern but the roll
and fillet moulded arch of each light springs from colonettes; hood
mould with stiff leaf stops, pointed north door, roll and fillet moulded
arch springing from colonettes with water holding bases and moulded
capitals, roll and fillet moulded hood with stiff leaf stops. Gabled
south porch with pointed roll and fillet moulded doorway of 2 orders,
colonettes and hood mould. Chancel: east window of 3 graded lancets
under a common hood mould with stiff leaf stops, banded colonettes and
roll and fillet moulded arches. Interior: pointed west arch of 2
chamfered orders now screened off from the main body of the church; no
structural division between nave and chancel; nave arcade has pointed
arches of 2 chamfered orders on octagonal columns with moulded bases and
capitals; small clerestorey above with pointed rere arches. Arch
braced collar roof over the nave; lean-to aisle roofs; 5-bay reredos
with trefoil headed panels and colonettes. Fittings: contemporary
with the church. Font with cylindrical pedestal surrounded by detached
colonettes, supporting a cylindrical basin; full set of pews; wooden
hexagonal pulpit with arcaded sides, lectern and priests bench. Stained
glass: east window of 1868 with St. Paul as the centrepiece and the
four evangelists to the sides; early C20 glass in the south aisle window.
B.o.E. p. 131.
Listing NGR: SK2038801738
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings