This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6381 / 52°38'17"N
Longitude: -2.0432 / 2°2'35"W
OS Eastings: 397170
OS Northings: 304486
OS Grid: SJ971044
Mapcode National: GBR 2B9.L7Q
Mapcode Global: WHBFM.LY7F
Entry Name: Chapel Farmhouse
Listing Date: 28 February 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1039186
English Heritage Legacy ID: 271810
Location: Essington, South Staffordshire, Staffordshire, WV11
District: South Staffordshire
Civil Parish: Essington
Built-Up Area: Springhill
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Essington St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
The following building shall be added;
SJ 90 SE ESSINGTON BURSNIPS ROAD
7/30 Chapel Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Circa late C18, remodelled and extended in late C19.
Built of large tax bricks in garden wall bond, some vitrefied.
Slate roof with gabled ends and projecting brick eaves courses.
Tax brick axial and gable end stacks, the axial stack heightened
and with clay tile pots.
3-room plan original house, the large left-hand room (kitchen) and
smaller centre room heated from back-to-back fireplaces in axial
stack, the smaller right hand (south) room heated from a gable end
stack. In late C19 an unheated 1-room plan extension was built at
the left (north) end with a wing at the back and 2 other rear
wings and outshuts were built, probably when the house was divided
into 2 cottages.
2 storeys. 4-window west front, the left bay is late C19 addition.
C20 2-light casement without glazing bars and C20 half-glazed
doors to left and right of centre. At rear central 1 storey
gable-ended wing, left hand wing heightened with flat roof and
narrow 2 storey wing on right, with outshuts between.
Interior: Left hand room of original house has chamfered axial
beams in centre and small right hand room, the former with run-out
stops and C20 chimneypiece, the latter without stops and C19
chimneypiece. Late C19 joinery throughout including plank doors
and 2 winder staircases. Roof has large purlins and later common
Note: Tax bricks were large bricks made to avoid the brick tax of
1784 (repealed in 1850). To combat this, double tax was then
levied on bricks over 150 cubic inches. These 9x5x4.5 inch bricks
are over 150 cubic inches and therefore likely to be C18. There
was a largebrickworks nearby to the west.
Listing NGR: SJ9717004486
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings