This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9512 / 52°57'4"N
Longitude: 1.0249 / 1°1'29"E
OS Eastings: 603309
OS Northings: 343598
OS Grid: TG033435
Mapcode National: GBR T8P.V8V
Mapcode Global: WHLQT.Q28V
Plus Code: 9F43X22F+FX
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 6 March 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1039495
English Heritage Legacy ID: 222864
Location: Blakeney, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR25
Civil Parish: Blakeney
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Blakeney St Nicholas with St Mary and St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 04 SW 1/1
CLEY ROAD (south side)
Church of St Nicholas
C15 with C13 chancel. Large church built of flint (Quaternary) with stone (Lincolnshire Limestone and Bath Stone) dressings and lead-clad roofs, refaced with knapped flint in 1880s. Comprising: C15 nave with clerestory and C15 north and south aisles, all with Perpendicular traceried windows. Large C15 west tower with diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet and pinnacles, three-light Perpendicular traceried belfry and large four-light Perpendicular west window and octagonal stair turret on south side. North porch of 1896. C13 chancel with rendered walls, with seven-light stepped east window and Perpendicular north and south windows.
Tower attached to north-east corner of chancel with pinnacles, cusped bell-openings and diagonal buttresses; said to have been originally a stair turret to chamber over chancel and to have been extended above chancel roof as an architectural feature; later used as a beacon.
Interior: six-bay arcades and C15 hammerbeam roof to nave. Tall tower arch. C13 two-bay vaulted chancel. Only base of screen is C15, remainder is circa 1913. Stalls with misericords restored 1913. Some C15 bench ends with poppy-heads. Good Perpendicular octagonal font.
Listing NGR: TG0330943598
Other nearby listed buildings