This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2369 / 52°14'12"N
Longitude: -0.8957 / 0°53'44"W
OS Eastings: 475510
OS Northings: 260426
OS Grid: SP755604
Mapcode National: GBR BW8.NCT
Mapcode Global: VHDS5.F1CK
Entry Name: Sessions House
Listing Date: 19 January 1952
Last Amended: 22 January 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1039664
English Heritage Legacy ID: 232052
Location: Northampton, Northamptonshire, NN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Northampton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Northampton All Saints with St Katherine
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
(Formerly listed as
SP 7560 SW 3/12 19.1.52. County Hall)
SP 7560 SE 4/12
1676-8, one of the first buildings to be begun after the town fire of 1675.
Attributed to Henry Bell of Kings Lynn and to Sir Roger Norwich, responsible
for the plan. Symmetrical front with Corinthian order. 3 central windows between
pilasters under balustrade with swags enclosing central shield. Semi-circular
headed doorway either end between coupled half columns under segmental pediments.
Hipped Welsh slated roof once had cupola and oval dormers under pediments. West
side elevation has round headed doorway flanked by coupled pilasters under pediment
with swags and cartouche in tympanum. Tall plinth, single storey.
Interior: very fine plaster ceilings, 1684-8, by Edward Goudge. AM.
Judge's Lodgings, Sessions House, County Hall, County Council Offices & Nos 8,
8A, 9 & 9A form a group.
Listing NGR: SP7551060426
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings