History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Little Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7559 / 51°45'21"N

Longitude: -0.1264 / 0°7'35"W

OS Eastings: 529413

OS Northings: 208018

OS Grid: TL294080

Mapcode National: GBR J9Q.YMW

Mapcode Global: VHGPT.R4J7

Entry Name: The Old Manor House

Listing Date: 20 October 1952

Last Amended: 11 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1040033

English Heritage Legacy ID: 356204

Location: Little Berkhamsted, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG13

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Little Berkhamsted

Built-Up Area: Little Berkhamsted

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Little Berkhamsted

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Little Berkhampstead

Listing Text

TL 20 NE
(Southeast side)
Little Berkhamsted
7/96 No. 20 (The Old Manor)
20.10.52 (formerly listed as
The Manor Farmhouse)
- II

House. Mid to late C16, altered and extended late C17, C19 and C20.
Timber frame, brick additions, all roughcast. Tiled roofs. 3 large bays
originally hall, parlour and service. In late C17 porch and stack added
to form lobby entry between parlour and hall, bay window put on hall and
separate kitchen/brewhouse added to rear. Entrance in C17 open timber
gabled porch to left of centre, square moulded balusters on returns,
moulded tie beam. Parlour to left has 3 light flush frame casements with
diamond leaded panes. To right is 2 storey shallow canted C17 bay
window, brick base, ground floor ovolo moulded timber mullions and
transom, 16 leaded lights, first floor similar 8 light mullioned window,
tiled coping. A single light above porch. C17 gable above canted bay
window. On ridge behind entrance is C19 rebuilding of C17 stack with
clustered diagonal shafts. 2 bay broad gable ends: ground floor French
windows to left, projecting rectangular bay windows to right, first
floor 2 light diamond pane casements, all with C19 hood moulds. To rear
right a C19 stack with 3 diagonally set shafts. Attached to rear right
is a C19 or C20 1 storey flat roofed addition with an entrance on right
end, gabled open porch, 2 light casement. This forms a link to C17
kitchen/brewhouse extending to rear right, rebuilt end stack, 2, 3 and 4
light casements to rear. To rear left is a C19 gabled block. To rear
centre extends a C20 gabled block. Lean-to outshut to rear of lobby
entrance bay. Interior: hall ceiling has floral plaster ornament,
chamfered bearers. Exposed frame of large scantling, jowled posts,
cambered tie beams, braces in walling, clasped purlin roof. Some C17 or
C18 panelling. Parlour fireplace dated 1657. (RCHM 1910: G. Millington,
Little Berkhamsted, 1981: RCHM Typescript)

Listing NGR: TL2941308018

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.