History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Rumbald

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stoke Doyle, North Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4647 / 52°27'52"N

Longitude: -0.4904 / 0°29'25"W

OS Eastings: 502654

OS Northings: 286261

OS Grid: TL026862

Mapcode National: GBR FY2.GTM

Mapcode Global: VHFNP.G93Y

Plus Code: 9C4XFG75+VR

Entry Name: Church of St Rumbald

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1040178

English Heritage Legacy ID: 232835

Location: Stoke Doyle, North Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE8

County: North Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Stoke Doyle

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Stoke Doyle St Rumbold

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
Oundle

Description


STOKE DOYLE CHURCH WALK
TL08NW (North side)
4/112 Church of St. Rumbald
23/05/67
GV II*

Church. c.1722-25. Limestone ashlar with lead roof. Hall plan with north
transept and west tower. South elevation of 5 bays; 4-window range. Plain
arch-head windows with moulded and eared architraves. Moulded cills with raised
panel below, linking with plain plinth. All windows have leaded lights with
radiating heads. Arch-head doorway to far left has 2 C19 plank doors with
panelled head section. Rusticated surround and flanking Doric pilasters with
open segmental pediment above. Plain pilasters to corners of elevation. Moulded
cornice with plain parapet above, having one recessed rectangular panel to each
bay. 3-light Venetian east window with square Doric columns and pilasters.
Arch-head centre light and pulvinated frieze, with moulded cornice, above
flanking lights. Raised panel below window similar to south elevation. Corner
pilasters and parapet are also similar. North elevation of 4 bays; 3-window
range with north transept projecting from bay to far left. Arch-head windows
similar to south elevation but with plain cills. Chamfered plinth, corner
pilasters, moulded cornice and plain parapet similar to south elevation. North
transept is a one-bay projection with similar windows to those on north
elevation, to each face. Those to north and west are blind. Chamfered plinth,
plain corner pilasters, moulded cornice and low ashlar parapet. West tower of 3
stages with plain plinth. Plain pilasters at corners and moulded cornices
between stages, also raised band between second and third stage. West door has
arch-head leaded fanlight with moulded architrave. Pair of panelled doors with
flanking Doric pilasters. Continuous moulded cornice above door. Oculus with
leaded light in west face of second stage. Blind oculus in north face and clock
face with single-handed mechanism in south face. Single arch-head bell-chamber
openings to each face of upper stage. Moulded architraves and cills and moulded
capitals at springing of arch. Doric capitals to corner pilasters and moulded
cornice above. Open balustrade with square bolection moulded balusters. Square
panelled plinths at corners, with obelisks. Interior: arch-head doorcases with
Doric pilasters. Similar opening into north transept has iron gate across. All
windows have similar surround to those externally. Plain coved ceiling with
moulded cornice. C18 font on baluster stem. C18 communion rail with turned
balusters. C18 fielded panelled pulpit. C18 pews cut down C19. C18 reredos with
reeded pilasters and panels inscribed with the Ten Commandments flanked by the
Lords Prayer and The Creed. Panelled dado throughout, fielded at east and west
ends. Early C19 organ with Gothic case. Pair of sculptured angels above east
window, added about 1835-40. Monuments: Mrs. Frances Palmer died 1628; monument
on wall to left of altar has flanking detached columns with heraldic device
above; she is a recumbent figure with husband kneeling alongside. Sir Edward
Ward died 1714, north transept, by J.M. Rysbrack, semi-reclining figure, white
and grey marble, reredos with Ionic columns and pediment. Katherine Hunt died
1760, marble tablet to right of altar. Mrs. Roberts died 1819, to left of altar,
reclining female figure with husband kneeling alongside. Various inscribed
tablets from C17 to C19 in sanctuary floor. Various C19 wall tablets to Capron
and other families. Colvin attributes design of Church to Thomas Eyre of
Kettering.
(Buildings of England; Northamptonshire, p.417; Calvin, H.M., A Biographical
Dictionary of British Architects 1660-1840, p.279).


Listing NGR: TL0265486261

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.