This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.454 / 52°27'14"N
Longitude: -0.3899 / 0°23'23"W
OS Eastings: 509506
OS Northings: 285223
OS Grid: TL095852
Mapcode National: GBR GZQ.479
Mapcode Global: VHFNR.6L63
Entry Name: Beaulieu Hall
Listing Date: 23 May 1967
Last Amended: 25 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040225
English Heritage Legacy ID: 232645
Location: Hemington, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE8
District: East Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Hemington
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Hemington St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
(Formerly listed as Manor House)
Country house, now house. Probably late C16 for Montagu family, restored C20.
Squared coursed limestone with Collyweston slate roof. Originally probably
U-shaped plan, in Jacobean style, of which one wing remains. 2 storeys with
attic. Entrance front is a one-window range with 4-light stone mullion windows
to ground and first floor. Ground floor window has transom. Doorway to left has
4-centred arch-head and chamfered stone surround. C20 door. Moulded string
course between floors. Ashlar gable parapets and kneelers. Right gable has 2
moulded finials remaining, with diamond panel decoration to finial block at
eaves. Large stone stack, with brick coping, projecting from left gable. C20
two-bay extension, attached to left, has reconstructed stone mullion windows.
Right gable has 4-light stone mullion windows, with transoms, to ground and
first floor and 2-light stone mullion attic window. Moulded string courses
between floors. Rear elevation has large lateral stone stack, with brick coping,
to centre. Square-head doorway, to far right, has moulded stone surround with
moulded cornice and 2 rectangular panels above. C20 polygonal bay attached to
right. Interior: entrance hall has open fireplace with bressumer to left of
entrance, fragment of reset medieval masonry to right. Drawing room, to right of
hall, has C20 fireplace access to old lateral stack. Exposed ceiling beams are
mainly original. First floor room, above drawing room, has C17 fireplace with
4-centred arch-head and moulded stone surround. Remains of 5 roof trusses with
queen posts and clasped purlins. Said to have formed part of a moated site
enclosing 8 acres. Dean Swift, writing in 1713, records that the house had been
pulled down; it was recorded as two houses in early C19. A large fireplace was
removed in 1913.
(V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.3: p.80; RCH: An Inventory of Architectural
Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p.89).
Listing NGR: TL0950685223
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings