This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3253 / 52°19'30"N
Longitude: -0.5973 / 0°35'50"W
OS Eastings: 495693
OS Northings: 270612
OS Grid: SP956706
Mapcode National: GBR DYB.CS4
Mapcode Global: VHFP6.LTL9
Entry Name: Irthlingborough Old Bridge and Attached Causeway (That Part in Irthlingborough Civil Parish)
Listing Date: 8 May 1950
Last Amended: 17 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040368
English Heritage Legacy ID: 232383
Location: Irthlingborough, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN9
District: East Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Irthlingborough
Built-Up Area: Irthlingborough
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Irthlingborough St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
IRTHLINGBOROUGH STATION ROAD
5/87 Irthlingborough Old Bridge
08/05/50 and attached causeway (that
part in Irthlingborough C.P.)
(Formerly listed as
Irthlingborough Old Bridge,
Bridge and attached causeway. Mid C14, datestones 1668, 1829, widened west side
in 1754 and 1922. Squared coursed limestone, part banded with ironstone,
limestone ashlar and brick. Bridge of 10 double and triple chamfered arches.
Those on west side have outer arches with brick voussoirs probably of 1754.
Large cutwaters to both sides; 5 on east side have refuges. Datestone 1668 on
east side probably refers to restoration. Plaque with cross keys of St. Peter on
west side. Central plaque with inscription relates to restoration of 1829.
Causeways attached to each end, each of 5 arches, originally formed part of the
bridge. Widened on west side and east parapets renewed and refaced in brick and
ashlar; probably all of 1922. Medieval arches survive within the arches of the
causeway. Originally constructed as a bridge of some 20 arches, probably under
instruction of The Abbey of Peterborough. Scheduled as an ancient monument.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.268; V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.3,
Listing NGR: SP9569370612
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings