This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3075 / 52°18'27"N
Longitude: -0.593 / 0°35'34"W
OS Eastings: 496021
OS Northings: 268645
OS Grid: SP960686
Mapcode National: GBR DYK.6X1
Mapcode Global: VHFPD.N8VC
Entry Name: Chichele College, South and East Ranges and Atttached Foundations
Listing Date: 17 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040390
English Heritage Legacy ID: 232332
Location: Higham Ferrers, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN10
District: East Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Higham Ferrers
Built-Up Area: Higham Ferrers
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Higham Ferrers St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
Chichele College, south and
east ranges and attached foundations
Former college. c.1422. Regular coursed and squared coursed limestone with
Collyweston slate roof. Originally quadrangle plan, south and parts of north,
east and west ranges remain. 2 storeys. East range and gable of south range
abutting road is a 3-window range at first floor level with a 2-light window
with cusping and hollow reveals to left gable. Crocketted hood mould over. 2-
and 3-light square-head windows to right also have hood moulds. Single-light
square-head window to ground floor centre with small single-light window to
left. Right range was the gatehouse and has gateway with 4-centred head, roll
moulding, quatrefoils with shields in the spandrels and hood moulds with
quatre foil decoration to label stops. 3 canopied niches above are re-decorated
with crocketted pinnacles. 2 blocked openings to centre and right. Chamfered
string. course between floors. Carved heads to either side of gable window are
probably reset gargoyles. Ashlar gable parapets. Elevation of south range to
left of elevation abutting road is now a 3-window range with large C15 two-light
square-head window to right of centre. Leaded casement to first floor far right
under wood lintel and casements to ground and first floor left also under wood
lintel. Gabled porch to far left has datestone D/1914/L. Rebuilt lateral stack
to centre also has datestone 1914. Ashlar gable parapet and stone stack at end.
Elevation of south range to quadrangle has a 2-window range to right with one
C15 two-light square-head window to first floor far right and 2 similar
single-light windows to ground floor below, all with cusping and hood moulds.
Casement windows under wood lintels to ground and first floor, right of centre.
C15 doorway to right of centre has 2-centred arch head, roll moulding, decorated
spandrels and hood mould. Gable to left has early C20 three-light stone mullion
windows to ground and first floor, that to ground floor has a transom. Rear wall
of gatehouse is attached to far left of the quadrangle elevation of south range
and is the internal elevation of the features described for the gatehouse
abutting the road. Attached foundations originally formed part of north, east
and west ranges. Interior of south range not inspected but noted as having
full-height chamber known as the chapel at the east end and ground floor rooms
to west end with ceiling beams; part of first floor oversails into the chapel.
The college was founded by Archbishop Henry Chichele and was dedicated to the
Blessed Virgin Mary, St. Thomas of Canterbury, and St. Edward the Confessor. It
provided for 8 secular canons, 8 clerks and 6 choristers. It was dissolved in
1542. Chichele College, south and east ranges form a group with Chichele College
north range and attached foundations (q.v.), Chichele College, group of
foundations (q.v.) and Chichele College, perimeter wall gateway and attached
foundations (q.v.). Chichele College is-scheduled as an ancient monument and is
under the guardianship of H.B.M.C.E.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.256).
Listing NGR: SP9602168645
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings