This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1036 / 52°6'13"N
Longitude: -1.1883 / 1°11'17"W
OS Eastings: 455690
OS Northings: 245342
OS Grid: SP556453
Mapcode National: GBR 8TZ.0DJ
Mapcode Global: VHCW4.CD46
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040418
English Heritage Legacy ID: 234184
Location: Sulgrave, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, OX17
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Sulgrave
Built-Up Area: Sulgrave
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Sulgrave St James the Less
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SULGRAVE CHURCH STREET
SP54NE (North side)
4/155 Church of St. James
Church. C13-C16. C19 roof pitch of nave and chancel altered and much window
tracery re-newed; north aisle added in 1885. Coursed limestone rubble and
coursed squared stone, old tile roofs. Chancel, aisled nave, north and south
porches, west tower. East window of chancel, C19. South-east window of chancel:
Decorated, 2-lights with flowing tracery. South-west window of chancel:
Perpendicular, 2-lights with square head and panel tracery. Low-side window
below has trefoiled arch under square head. All windows in south aisle
Decorated, 2-lights with C19 tracery and original hoods with head stops. South
porch, datestone 1564 (renewed C20) has 4-centred arch under square hood,
spandrels carved with rosettes. Inner doorway, C14, has arch with continuous
mouldings, hood with head stops and C19 plank door. West tower, C13 of 3 stages
has trefoiled lancets in the ground stage and C13 two-light bell openings. West
doorway, probably Saxon with triangular stone head. Not in situ. Said to have
been removed from an earlier church which stood north-west of the present
village. North aisle has re-used C14 doorway with continuous mouldings. Entrance
to north porch, also C14, has moulded arch with ball flower decoration.
Interior: Perpendicular south arcade, 4 bays, octagonal piers and double
chamfered arches. C14-C15 piscina recess with trefoiled head in south aisle.
Chancel arch, probably C15, has two continuous chamfered orders. Large C14
carved stone heads of a king and queen reset in north and south walls of
chancel. Font, probably c.1660, has octagonal bowl with leaf ornament. Stained
glass shields with arms of the Washington family in east window of south aisle,
probably C16, not in situ. Brass, at east end of south aisle to Amy Washington
died 1564, and her husband Lawrence. died 1584. Fragmentary part of male figure,
figures of children and a shield remain. Wall monument to John, and Moses
Hodges, died 1724, grey and white marble with fluted pilasters. Chest, said to
be C14 in south aisle, wood, with closely spaced studded iron bands. The church
is shown in a drawing of c.1820 by George Washington Smith, now at Sulgrave
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.421; H. Clifford Smith: Sulgrave
Manor and The Washingtons, London 1933).
Listing NGR: SP5569045342
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings