This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1189 / 52°7'8"N
Longitude: -1.2088 / 1°12'31"W
OS Eastings: 454267
OS Northings: 247029
OS Grid: SP542470
Mapcode National: GBR 8TR.178
Mapcode Global: VHCW4.009G
Entry Name: The Old Manor House (Numbers 1, 2 and 3 Manor House) and Stone Walls
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040456
English Heritage Legacy ID: 234074
Location: Culworth, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, OX17
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Culworth
Built-Up Area: Culworth
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Culworth St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
CULWORTH THE GREEN
SP5447 (North side)
10/45 The Old Manor House (Nos. 1,2
4/2/69 and 3 Manor House) and stone
House. C17, enlarged early C18. Now 3 dwellings. South front, coursed limestone
and ironstone rubble, west, north and east sides, coursed limestone rubble
banded with ironstone. Roof covered by snow at time of survey, brick and stone
stacks. L-plan with small courtyard, partly filled in by C20 additions. 2
storeys, attic and cellar. South front, 3 bays, has entrance to left of centre
with wood lintel and plank door. C19 three-light casement window with wood
lintel to left. 4-light stone mullioned window with square hood to right.
Similar window without hood in right bay on first floor. C19 three-light
casement window with wood lintel in left bay, and similar 2-light window above
entrance. Coped gable end. Right side has C20 doorways to Nos. 2 and 3. Two and
three-light stone mullioned windows on the ground floor. Four similar 2-light
windows plus a one-light stone framed window on the first floor. Wing extending
to left of main front, 2 storeys, one bay, has C20 casement windows with stone
lintels on both floors and coped gable end with kneelers. 2-light windows of
c.1700 with wood mullions and transoms on left side. Wall adjoining left side of
house, and extending along north side of High Street. C17/C18, Coursed limestone
and ironstone rubble, and coursed squared stone with stone coping. Interior.
Remodelled C19 and C20. A small room on the ground floor has bolection panelling
of c.1700. In the hall are stop-chamfered cross beams and a fireplace with stop
chamfered stone jambs and C20 timber bressumer. Formerly the residence of the
D'Anvers family, Lords of the manor from the C15. The house was described by
Baker in the early C19 as "in a very dilapidated state and occupied by poor
(George Baker, "History and Antiquities of Northamptonshire", 1822-80, Vol. 1,
Listing NGR: SP5426747029
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings