This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0281 / 52°1'41"N
Longitude: -1.188 / 1°11'16"W
OS Eastings: 455806
OS Northings: 236941
OS Grid: SP558369
Mapcode National: GBR 8VR.SJZ
Mapcode Global: VHCWJ.C993
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040479
English Heritage Legacy ID: 234025
Location: Hinton-in-the-Hedges, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN13
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Hinton-in-the-Hedges
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Hinton-in-the-Hedges The Most Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
THE GREEN (North side)
Church of Holy Trinity
Church. C12 and C14. Coursed limestone rubble, ironstone quoins; tiled roof.Chancel, nave and north aisle, south porch, west tower.
Chancel windows are Victorian. South doorway in nave C14 with plank door and C19 porch. To right a C14 three-light window, the tracery probably C19. C14 lancet to left. In the north aisle, the doorway is C14 flanked by C14 windows of one and two lights, C14 east window (tracery renewed) and C14 lancet to west.
Romanesque tower of three stages with bell openings of two arched lights and corbel table with heads. Deeply splayed round headed lancet on ground stage of west wall. Fragments of herringbone masonry in west walls nave to north and south of tower, possibly Saxon.
Interior: Late C12 north arcade of two bays has round pier with square abacus and trumpet scalloped capital, and similar responds. Double chamfered arches C14. Chancel arch C14, has corbels with grotesque heads. Stairs to former rood loft in north aisle. Romanesque tower arch, unmoulded.
Fittings: Tub font, early C13 with frieze of intersecting arches and stiff leaf. Chancel screen, Perpendicular, with one-light traceried openings and vine scroll cornice. Pulpit, Jacobean, with blind arcading. Stained glass in chancel, fragment of 'Coronation of the Virgin' early C15. Monuments: Sir William Hinton (?) wife. C14 stone effigies on chest tombs. Wall tablets to Salathiell Crewe died 1686, with open pediment, attributed to William Stanton, and to Reynold Braye died 1582, brass inscription in architectural frame with Corinthian columns.
(Buildings of England : Northamptonshire, p.259).
Listing NGR: SP5580636941
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings