History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

All Hallows Church Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wellingborough, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3026 / 52°18'9"N

Longitude: -0.6944 / 0°41'39"W

OS Eastings: 489119

OS Northings: 267965

OS Grid: SP891679

Mapcode National: GBR CX2.R6S

Mapcode Global: VHDRW.XD75

Entry Name: All Hallows Church Hall

Listing Date: 23 September 1950

Last Amended: 12 March 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1040619

English Heritage Legacy ID: 233750

Location: Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN8

County: Northamptonshire

District: Wellingborough

Town: Wellingborough

Electoral Ward/Division: Swanspool

Built-Up Area: Wellingborough

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Wellingborough

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Wellingborough

Listing Text

SP8967NW
11/97
23/09/50


WELLINGBOROUGH
CHURCH STREET(South side)
All Hallows Church Hal(Formerly listed as No.27 and Church Hall (Old Grammar School)


GII
Grammar School,now church hall.Early C17,restored C19 and C20.Squared coursed ironstone,part banded with limestone,with C20 plain-tile roof.Originally probably two-unit plan,one of which was a larger hall.Two storeys with attic, five-window range of four-light stone-mullion windows with leaded lights.C20 door to left has four-centred moulded stone head with roundels in the spandrels.Two large stone dormers with three-light stone mullion windows with ashlar gable parapets,kneelers and three finials. Stone stack with cornice to end and ashlar window to first floor with quatrefoil panel above.Turned finials to kneelers and mid parts of parapets. Rear elevation to Church Street has three C19 stone-mullion windows and two door openings with four-centered moulded stone heads.Three trefoil air holes to ground and first floor.Pair of tall stone stacks at eaves.Panels above entrance to main front have moulded stone surrounds with plain panel below and inscription,"Edward Pickering of Swasey in the Country of Cambridge Esq.,one of the sons of Sir John Pickering late of Tichmarsh in this County K't and Barn't Ana.Dnj.1682.Gave to this free school 130L for the advancement of learning. Aspice Respice Fac Smilie". Also,"Richard Fisher of Wellingborough gent, gave to the schoolmasters of this place 15 per an.For the further encouragment of learning An.Dnj.1711",and below,"Qiao,aozi Multum Debeo.Barbaris autem nihil".C20 rstored sundial in dormer above.Interior: Two plank doors with strap hinges to entrance vestibule.Remains of carved stone sun face in entrance hall.Central chamfered ceiling beam in room to right.First floor hall has C19 exposed roof trusses and plaster panels.


Listing NGR: SP8911967965

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.