This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3382 / 52°20'17"N
Longitude: -0.6644 / 0°39'51"W
OS Eastings: 491097
OS Northings: 271968
OS Grid: SP910719
Mapcode National: GBR DY2.6WC
Mapcode Global: VHFP5.FHNC
Entry Name: Museum Tower, Bell Tower and Attached Outbuildings and Wall and the Old Chapel, Finedon Hall, and Attached Wall
Listing Date: 9 June 1970
Last Amended: 12 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040633
English Heritage Legacy ID: 233688
Location: Finedon, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN9
Civil Parish: Finedon
Built-Up Area: Finedon
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Finedon St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
MACKWORTH DRIVE(South side)
Museum Tower, Bell Tower andattached buildings and wall and The Old Chapel, Finedon Hall, and attached wall (Formerly listed as courtyard buildings, covered way, tower and other outbuildings of Finedon Hall, Station Road)
Range of outbuildings including a museum and wintergarden to Finedon Hall, now part dwelling house.Datestones 1851 and 1856, perhaps with C18 origins. Probably by E.F. Law for William Mackworth-Dolben. Ironstone ashlar with slate and pantile roofs. Museum tower and attached buildings are L-shape plan with The Old Chapel, former wintergarden,attached to north.Tudor-Gothic style, two and three storeys.West elevation to courtyard of four -window range of three-light stone mullion windows. Central gable entrance, known as bell tower, has semi-circular arch flanked by niches with triple lancet above under drip mould. Above are five small arched openings and a bellcote and datestone 1851. Clasping buttresses at corners.Ashlar parapet and ashlar stacks at ridge. Wall and ashlar gatepier attached to right. South levation to courtyard originally similar to west elevation now has one-window range remaining to far left with semi-circular arch opening below. Rear wall and two gable walls also remain; one has a Gothic window. Museum tower at intersection of wings, originally of two stages with gabled pyramid roof. Upper and lower stages remain with triple arcade to three faces of upper stage and three-storey, three window range of single-light openings to east face of lower stage. North face has semi-circular stair turret. Stone scrolls below the triple arcades have inscriptions "Filiis Fratibu Parentes", "W.H.I.M.D. and F.M.D.", and "Victoria Rgnant A.D. 1856". Remains of various other inscriptions and carved heads. The old chapel west elevation is a five-bay arcade of double-chamfred C19 Gothic arches with quatrfoil piers and foliated capitals.Trefoils in spandrels between arches. Corbelled cornice and ashlar gable parapets. C20 extension to left. Castellated wall attached to left has semi-circular arch opening and niches.Castellated wall attached to west end of south elevation and linking with the Hall has three stage buttresses and two small Gothic style openings to left and right. The Museum Tower, Bell Tower, attached buildings and wall form two sides of a courtyard with Finedon hall (q.v.). (Finedon Otherwise Thingdon by J.L.H. Bailey, p85).
Listing NGR: SP9109771968
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings