This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2916 / 52°17'29"N
Longitude: -0.7721 / 0°46'19"W
OS Eastings: 483846
OS Northings: 266653
OS Grid: SP838666
Mapcode National: GBR CX5.9M8
Mapcode Global: VHDRV.KNPL
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 28 May 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040692
English Heritage Legacy ID: 233521
Location: Mears Ashby, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN6
Civil Parish: Mears Ashby
Built-Up Area: Mears Ashby
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Mears Ashby All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
MEARS ASHBY CHURCH STREET
SP8366 (West side)
16/241 Church of All Saints
Church. C12 to C14. Chancel and vestry rebuilt 1859 by A. Buckeridge. Regular
coursed and squared coursed lias with ashlar dressings and lead and plain-tile
roof. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. South elevation of
chancel of 2-window range of 2-light square-headed windows with carved label
stops. Window to left has re-used C14 tracery. South door between windows has
plain arch head. Steep pitched roof with ashlar gable parapets, kneelers and
finial. C19 east window. North elevation of chancel is similar, of one-window
range. Vestry attached to east of north aisle is similar to chancel and is of
one bay with square-headed north door, and 3-light east window. South aisle of
3-window range of 2-light C13 windows with Y-tracery. 3-light C19 east window
and 2-light square head C14 west window. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet.
Blocked tomb recess below centre window. C14 gabled porch to left of centre has
pointed outer arch with octagonal responds and C12 semi-circular double stepped
inner arch. North aisle of 3-window range of 2-light square-headed windows;
similar west window. North door to right of centre has pointed arch head.
Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. Nave clerestory of 4-window range of
C14 two-light square-headed windows. Shallow pitched roof with castellated
parapet and 2 gargoyles to each side. Short west tower of 3 stages with 3-stage
angle buttresses to lower stage. Upper stage has triple arcade to each face with
double-chamfered pointed arches and blank centre opening flanked by bell-chamber
openings. Corbel table above with castellated parapet and short octagonal
pinnacles at corners. 2 rainwater heads on east face have inscriptions, "Will.
Harris. Will. Farrow" and "1640". Interior: 4-bay nave arcade of
double-chamfered arches with octagonal responds. C19 roof structure. Piscina in
south aisle partly restored C19 also niche between windows. Remains of medieval
wall painting over chancel arch depicting the"Doom". Saxon wheel head cross on
south aisle window sill. C19 reredos to east end of chancel. C12 octagonal font
with rosettes and interlace decoration. Stained glass: chancel east window by
Clayton and Bell, south aisle east window c.1859 by A. Lusson. C19 and C20
stained glass to belfry window and 2 south aisle windows. Pre-reforaation alms
box in nave. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.303).
Listing NGR: SP8384666653
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings