This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1154 / 52°6'55"N
Longitude: -0.8931 / 0°53'35"W
OS Eastings: 475892
OS Northings: 246922
OS Grid: SP758469
Mapcode National: GBR BXT.91Y
Mapcode Global: VHDSR.G3Q4
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 17 May 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040819
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235274
Location: Grafton Regis, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Grafton Regis
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Grafton Regis St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
GRAFTON REGIS BOZENHAM HILL LANE
SP7546 (North side)
13/37 Church of St. Mary the Virgin
Church. Early C13, C14 and C15; repaired and re-pewed 1840, restored 1889.
Coursed squared limestone, slate roof to nave. Lead roofs to chancel, tower and
porch. Chancel, north chancel chapel, nave, north aisle, south porch, west
tower. 3-bay chancel has 5-light east window with renewed Perpendicular tracery
and hood mould, a 2-light window to north-east with straight head and pair of
2-light Perpendicular windows to south with ogee-arched heads to lights and hood
moulds. Windows flank blocked window above double wave-moulded priest's door
with ogee-arched head; sill of window to south-west was formerly lower than that
to south-east and has been partly blocked. Chancel chapel continues north aisle
and has 3-light window with reticulated tracery, aisle has 2-light windows to
north with Decorated tracery and 3-light west window with intersecting tracery;
all have hood moulds. Nave has square clerestory window to north-east and
south-east, the former with double-chamfered stone surround, the latter with
hollow-chamfered surround and quatrefoil. 2-light windows to south with
Decorated tracery and hood moulds. Double wave-moulded south door with hood
mould and label stops in porch with double-chamfered doorway and hood mould.
Blocked windows to either side of porch, stone benches within and roof with
innermost tie-beam dated 1835. 3-stage tower has polygonal stair turret to
south-east angle with ogee-arched door, small cusped 1-light window at
intermediate level and ridged stone roof. Tower has similar windows to middle
stage, 2-light west window to 1st stage with Decorated tracery and hood mould
and similar bell-chamber openings. Diagonal off-set buttresses and battlemented
parapet. Diagonal off-set buttresses to porch and south-east angle of nave.
Chamfered stone eaves to nave and chancel and stone-coped gables with kneelers.
Interior: chancel has stone reredos with ogee-arched blank arcading and cusped
ogee-arched piscina. Priest's door is flanked by sedilia fording tripartite
composition, all with ogee-arched heads. Double-chamfered arch to chancel chapel
on corbels. Nave has 4-bay arcade with circular pier, polygonal responds and
double-chamfered arches. Triple-chamfered tower arch with polygonal responds.
Large medieval panel painting of the Betrayal of Christ above priest's door. C19
stain-glass windows in north aisle. Monuments: chest-tomb with trefoil-headed
arched panels and three semi-octagonal colonnettes to middle of long side and
either end, shields to panels either end and slab incised with two foliated
crosses. Chest tomb with seven ogee-headed arched panels, shields to panels
either end and incised slab to Sir John Wydevyl c.1415. Wall monument in Grecian
style signed by Flaxman to Charlotte Countess of Euston d.1808 with sarcophagus
flanked by Faith and Hope. Wall monument to Lord James Henry Fitzroy d.1834
signed by William Behnes with draped urn in niche of sarcophagus; white marble
on slate ground. Other Fitzroy wall monuments early/mid C19, white marble on
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, pp226-7; Kelly's Directory to
Listing NGR: SP7589246922
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings