This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1434 / 52°8'36"N
Longitude: -1.0237 / 1°1'25"W
OS Eastings: 466908
OS Northings: 249902
OS Grid: SP669499
Mapcode National: GBR 9VY.L01
Mapcode Global: VHDSH.6DP7
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 17 May 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040874
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235104
Location: Greens Norton, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Greens Norton
Built-Up Area: Greens Norton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Greens Norton St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
GREENS NORTON TOWCESTER ROAD
SP6649 (North side)
11/85 Church of St. Bartholomew
Church. Saxon (mid C10-C11) C13, C14; tower repaired c.1718, spire rebuilt 1807;
chancel rebuilt 1891 by E.F. Law, when whole church was restored; spire again
rebuilt 1957. Coursed squared ironstone with limestone dressings, plain-tile
roofs, except to aisles - of lead. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles and
chancel chapels, south porch, west tower and vestry. 3-bay chancel has 3-light
stepped lancet east window and coupled lancets to north and south. Nave has
3-bay clerestory of quatrefoils in square chamfered stone surrounds. Long and
short work to angles of Saxon nave visible at west end and to west of
easternmost bays of arcades inside. North and south chancel chapels overlap
chancel and continue aisles. North aisle has 2-light Decorated east window and
3-light Decorated windows to north. The two windows east of north door are wider
and have curvilinear tracery, that to west of door has reticulated tracery.
Double hollow-chamfered north doorway with C19 double-leaf door. Chamfered
plinth, diagonal offset buttresses, offset buttress between middle and east
bays, sill band forming hood mould to north door and plain stone-coped parapet.
South aisle has 3-light Perpendicular east window with 4-centred head, 3-light
windows to south, Perpendicular with straight head to west of porch, Decorated
with curvilinear tracery to east. Hollow-chamfered south doorway with hood mould
and double-leaf C19 doors in south porch with double-chamfered doorway and
one-light windows north and south. Rainwater heads dated 1891 and similar
plinth, sill and buttresses and parapet to north aisle. 4-stage west tower has
2-light window to west with pointed trefoil-headed lights and quatrefoil to
head. Small quatrefoil window to south of next stage, a one-light window to
west, similar window above. Clock-face in stone diamond surround. 2-light
bell-openings with Y-tracery, small quatrefoils to heads and Gibbs surrounds.
Coved cornice and recessed spire with 3 tiers of lucarnes rising from
battlemented octagonal base. Single-storey vestry of 1923 to north of tower.
Most windows have hood moulds. Interior: chancel has piscina with
hollow-chamfered head on corbels. Double-chamfered arches to former chancel
chapels north and south with polygonal responds; chamfer of arch to north chapel
is continuous. Image bracket to north of east window of north chapel. Image
brackets with carved heads flank east window south chapel, which has piscina
with ogee-arched cusped head. Double-chamfered chancel arch, innermost on
corbels. Nave has 2-bay arcades with octagonal piers, polygonal responds and
double-chamfered arches. Circular font carved with beaded diamonds, filled with
flowers. Pulpit has Jacobean panels. Royal arms of Elizabeth I dated 1592, oil
on board. Royal arms dated 1826, carved wood, the gift of W. Edwards. C19
stained glass, east windows and into aisles. Monuments: brass to Lady Greene
(Sir Thomas d.1417). Alabaster effigies of Sir Thomas Greene d.1457 and his
wife. Brass of Sir Thomas Greene d.1462 inside large recess with moulded
4-centred arched head, on tomb-chest with shields in pointed quatrefoils.
Alabaster wall monument to John Hicklinge d.1558 with marble colonettes, slate
inscription tablet, apron, obelisks and cartouche with arms. Alabaster wall
monument to William Hicklinge d.1606 and his wife Frances d.1603: kneeling
couple facing each other at prayer desk, daughter behind her mother, large
plumed helmet behind her father in niche with semi-circular superstructure and
curtains held open by angels either side. Slate inscription below with arms in
apron, obelisks and cartouche to superstructure flanked by pilasters and topped
by broken pediment framing arms.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, 1973, pp.239-10; H.M and J. Taylor,
Anglo-Saxon Architecture, Vol.I, pp.261-2).
Listing NGR: SP6690849902
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings