This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1585 / 52°9'30"N
Longitude: -0.9794 / 0°58'45"W
OS Eastings: 469917
OS Northings: 251629
OS Grid: SP699516
Mapcode National: GBR 9VS.R5T
Mapcode Global: VHDSH.Z03L
Plus Code: 9C4X525C+C7
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 17 May 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040916
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235010
Location: Tiffield, West Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
Civil Parish: Tiffield
Built-Up Area: Tiffield
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Tiffield St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP 65 SE TIFFIELD HIGH STREET SOUTH
3/190 Church of St. John the Baptist
Church. C13 and C14. Restored, south aisle and porch added 1859 by E.F. Law;
further restoration and rebuilding 1873 by H.C. Vernon. Coursed limestone
rubble, slate roofs to nave and chancel, lead roofs to aisles and tower,
plain-tile roof to porch. Chancel, aisled nave, south porch and west tower.
Chancel has 3-light C19 Decorated east window and similar 2-light window to
south-west. Original foliated east gable cross re-set in south wall. Nave has
3-bay clerestory with quatrefoil window to south flanked by trefoiled windows;
arrangement reversed to north. Aisles has 2-light C19 Decorated-style windows.
South door, re-set, has many moulded doorway, 6-panel double leaf doors with C19
ornamental hinges and hood mould. South porch has double hollow-chamfered
doorway, small niche above with ogee hood mould and stone-coped gable with
kneelers. West tower has 2-light west window with ogee-arched heads to lights
and quatrefoil to head, similar bell-chamber openings and battlemented parapet
with gargoyles north and south. Nave and aisles have stone-coped parapets,
chamfered stone eaves to chancel and angle buttresses to chancel. All windows
have hood moulds except those to clerestory, most with carved label stops,
Interior: chancel has 2-seat sedilia with double roll-moulded arches, and
encaustic-tiled floors. Nave has 3-bay arcades, C13 to north with circular piers
and moulded bases and capitals, C19 to south with octagonal piers and polygonal
responds. Norman font, circular with palmette ornament in beaded scalloped
moulding on C19 base. C19 stain-glass windows to east end and west end of south
aisle. Hanoverian Royal Arms, oil on canvas. Monuments: stone wall monument to
Gerance James, d.1645, with inscription alluding to Civil War. Slate wall
monument to Rev. John Gilbert, d.1730, and his wife Frances, d.1749. Horizontal
oval white marble wall monument on polished slate background to Rev. Bartholemew
Keeling, d.1779, and his wife May, erected, as inscription records, by their
executers, the Rectors of Orlingbury and Maidford, April 1781. White marble
wall monument signed by Whiting to Rhoda, wife of Rev. J.T. Flesher who died
1837 with tribute beginning "SHE WAS ZEALOUSLY PIOUS WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM".
Similar monument to her youngest son James, d.1838.
(Buildings of England, Northanptonshire, 1973, p431-2)
Listing NGR: SP6991751629
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings