History in Structure

Church of the Holy Cross

A Grade II* Listed Building in Milton Malsor, West Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.1934 / 52°11'36"N

Longitude: -0.9237 / 0°55'25"W

OS Eastings: 473669

OS Northings: 255558

OS Grid: SP736555

Mapcode National: GBR BWT.F95

Mapcode Global: VHDSB.Y41D

Plus Code: 9C4X53VG+8G

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Cross

Listing Date: 3 May 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1040957

English Heritage Legacy ID: 234903

ID on this website: 101040957

Location: Holy Cross Church, Milton Malsor, West Northamptonshire, NN7

County: West Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Milton Malsor

Built-Up Area: Milton Malsor

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Milton Malsor Holy Cross

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


(North side)
9/85 Church of the Holy Cross


Church. Late C13 to mid C14 with earlier origins. Restored 1874-1877 by E.F. Law
and again in 1880. Coursed squared ironstone and limestone, slate roofs to nave
and chancel, lead roofs to aisles. Chancel, north and south chancel chapels,
aisled nave, south porch and west tower. 2-bay chancel has 5-light east window
and 3-light window to south, both with reticulated tracery and hood moulds with
label stops, and quatrefoil clerestory windows. Chancel chapels continue aisles
overlapping chancel and have rose windows to east ends in square chamfered stone
surrounds; rose window to north chapel C19. South chapel has narrow blocked
chamfered doorway with hood mould to east wall by chancel and 3-light window to
south with cinquefoil-headed lights and hood mould. North chapel has 3-light
window to north with cusped ogee-arched heads to lights and hood mould and small
2-light low-side window to north-west with Decorated tracery and hood mould.
Nave has 4-bay clerestory with pointed trefoil windows to south side only, with
hood moulds. North aisle has 3-light windows to north with straight heads and
ogee-arched heads to lights, and north doorway with continuous sunk quadrant and
wave moulding and hollow chamfer. South aisle has 2-light windows to south with
Decorated tracery and double-chamfered south doorway in porch rebuilt C19. Both
aisles have 3-light west window with identical late C13 tracery. 3-stage west
tower has triple-chamfered west doorway, small 1-light chamfered windows to
middle stage, and 2-light bell-chamber openings (mullions broken away).
Battlemented parapet with tall corner pinnacles, and short crocketed spire with
one tier of lucarnes on octagonal recessed base with 2-light windows on four
sides with Decorated tracery. Doorways and windows of tower and aisles have hood
moulds. Plain stone-coped parapets to body of church and angle buttresses to
chancel. Interior: raised sanctuary with encaustic-tiled floor approached by 3
steps with tiles to fronts of risers with inscription "D0 THIS IN REMBRANCE OF
Chamfered arched aumbry and piscina with pointed trefoil head. Double-chamfered
arches to chancel chapels, with polygonal east responds, semi-circular west
responds. Double-chamfered chancel arch, continuous to outer arch, semi-circular
inner responds. Nave has 4-bay arcades with circular piers, moulded bases,
octagonal abaci and double-chamfered arches. Chancel chapels both have a
piscina, that to north with cusped head, that to south with cinquefoiled head.
C19 roofs throughout. Font has plain circular bowl. Stained glass east windows
that to chancel of 1894 and signed H.A. Hymers 182 Kings Road, Chelsea. Fine
brass corona with oil lamps. Monuments: wall monument to Dame Jane Sapcotes
Harrington, d.1610, of alabaster with apron, Ionic half-columns flanking
inscription and painted coat of arms above with strapwork surround. Wall
monument of limestone to William Dry, Yeoman, Lord of Mantells Manor, d,.1637
with panelled pilasters and pair of obelisk finials. Wall monument of white and
coloured marbles to Richard Dodwell, d.1726, with Corinthian pilasters, apron
with cherubs heads and coat of arms and segmental pediment with urn and lamp
finials, all with gilded flame finials.
(Buildings of England, Northamptonshire, 1973, p.306; B.E. Evans, The Story of
Milton Malsor, 1924, p54-l19)

Listing NGR: SP7366955558

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.