This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1712 / 52°10'16"N
Longitude: -0.8915 / 0°53'29"W
OS Eastings: 475903
OS Northings: 253130
OS Grid: SP759531
Mapcode National: GBR BX1.WZ2
Mapcode Global: VHDSC.HPJD
Plus Code: 9C4X54C5+F9
Entry Name: The School and School House
Listing Date: 3 May 1968
Last Amended: 15 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040984
English Heritage Legacy ID: 234865
Location: Courteenhall, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7
Civil Parish: Courteenhall
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Courteenhall
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP 75 SE COURTEENHALL
5/42 The School and School House
03/05/68 (Formerly listed as the
School and adjoining school-
School and school-house, now village hall and house. Dated 1680 extended 1688,
with C20 alterations and additions. Coursed squared limestone with ironstone
dressings, hipped plain-tile roof to school, stone ridge and end stacks to
school house. T plan. 1-storey and attic school, 2-storey and attic
school-house. School-room has large central 6-panel double-leaf doors to
entrance end with eared moulded stone surround, pulvinated frieze and broken
segmental pediment, framing limestone cartouche with cost of arms of founder.
Horizontal oval limestone panel above with moulded stone surround and Latin
inscription beginning HOC/MUSARUM DOMICILIUM, commemorating foundation of school
by Sir Samuel Jones, for the education of neighbouring youth up to 4 miles
around and built by his executors Henry Edmonds and Francis Cran 1680. 3
leaded cross windows to right side with eared moulded stone surrounds. Similar
windows to far end and to left side far end. Chamfered plinth and quoins, wood
modillion leaves and small roof dormer to front end, larger hipped roof dormers
to right side. Former schoolmaster's house, attached to middle of left side has
central 6-panel door with moulded wood surround, overlight and C20 columned
porch. Door flanked by C20 cross windows with ironstone jambs and stone
lintels. 6-pane sash windows to first floor with stone lintels, that to right a
false painted sash. Chamfered plinth ironstone eaves band, bracketed wood eaves
and two hipped roof dormers. Former single-storey extension to left, built by
first master Robert Ashbridge in 1688, breaks forward and has 6-panel double
leaf doors, and moulded stone surround with pulvinated frieze. Datestone to
right recording construction. Plaque above door recording restoration in 1923.
Raised late C20 to 2 storeys and incorporated in school-house accommodation.
Formerly an infant school; believed to have been built to accommodate usher
Interior: schoolroom has complete set of original benches and desks ranged
round walls including masters desk. School house has two open fireplaces with
stop-chamfered bressumers, one with salt cupboard, and stop-chamfered spine
beams. Fine central open well staircase from ground floor to attic with twisted
balusters; panelled risers to first floor flights. Corner fireplace in first
floor room with stop-chamfered wood lintel and cast-iron grate of c.1800. Attic
rooms have fireplaces with stop-chamfered wood lintels and access to large attic
over schoolroom said to have been used originally as dormitory. Stone flagged
hall. Fitted cupboard and stone cellar. Door to cellar has wrought-iron latch
and hinges. Other old doors.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p166; Country Life: August 12th
Listing NGR: SP7590353130
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings