This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2426 / 52°14'33"N
Longitude: -0.99 / 0°59'23"W
OS Eastings: 469061
OS Northings: 260965
OS Grid: SP690609
Mapcode National: GBR 9TT.8KH
Mapcode Global: VHDRX.SWHQ
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 3 May 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041038
English Heritage Legacy ID: 234699
Location: Harpole, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Harpole
Built-Up Area: Harpole
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Harpole All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
HARPOLE UPPER HIGH STREET
SP6960 (North side)
9/70 Church of All Saints
Church. C12 to C15. Re-seated 1828 by Charles Squirhill. Restored 1905 by M.H.
Holding. Coursed squared ironstone and limestone rubble, lead roofs. Chancel,
vestry, north chancel chapel, nave, north and south aisles, west tower. 2-bay
chancel has 3-light Perpendicular east window, 3-light Perpendicular windows to
south with straight heads and 1-light low-side window to south-west with
straight head and chamfered stone surround. Priest's door to south with stepped
round-arched head and shafts with waterleaf capitals. Vestry to north has
1-light east window with straight head. 2 similar windows to north chancel
chapel and north door with chamfered stone surround and lintel and hood mould.
Nave has 3-bay clerestory with 2-light straight-headed windows. North aisle has
2-light window to north-east with round-arched head and plate tracery with
quatrefoil to head, a 3-light straight-headed Perpendicular window to east of
north door, a 2-light window to west of door with cinquefoil-headed lights, and
small lancet west window. 6-panel north door has stepped pointed arch with inner
chamfer, shafts, plain moulded capitals, and hood mould. South aisle has 2-light
Perpendicular windows to south with straight heads and small vesica piscis east
window. South doorway has stepped round-arched head, shafts and decorated
capitals. South porch has hollow-chamfered doorway with hood mould and 2-light
Decorated windows. North and south 3-stage tower has blocked west door with
plain stone jambs and lintel. 3 blank arches above, with shafts, moulded
capitals, hollow-chamfered heads and hood moulds, the central arch framing
lancet window. Cast-iron clock face to middle stage south with diamond framing
clock face, letters R.S. above, laurel wreath below and dated 1841. Bell-chamber
openings of coupled lancets. Plain stone-coped parapet, renewed corner
pinnacles, and low pyramidal roof with wind-vane and offset angle buttresses.
Plain stone-coped parapets, diagonal offset buttresses to porch, chancel and
north-west angle of north aisle, with other buttresses to north. Most windows
have hood moulds. Chancel has piscina with cusped head and hood mould, stone
mensa on rebuilt base to north of altar and door to vestry with triangular head
and chamfer. Wide double hollow-chamfered arch to north chapel with polygonal
responds and moulded capitals. Pair of tomb recesses in chapel with many-moulded
arches, shafts, leaf capitals and piscina with cusped head. Double-chamfered
chancel arch and inner semi-circular piers with scalloped capitals.
Hollow-chamfered arch between chancel chapel and aisle resting on carved head
corbel to north and outer arch with continuous chamfer. Nave has 4-bay arcades
with octagonal columns, polygonal responds, moulded capitals and
double-chamfered arches; carved head corbel to north-east. Quadruple-chamfered
tower arch with moulded capitals and polygonal responds. Circular Romanesque
font on plain pedestal; richly carved bowl with leaf-trails, dragons, Tree of
Life and fish-scale ornament. 5-sided panelled pulpit, probably early C19. Two
sections of former mid C18 communion rail with turned balusters in tomb recess.
Creed and Commandment boards in chapel, probably early C19. 5 C18 charity
boards, one signed Samuel Frost Writer, 1748, another 'Wrote by Thomas
Litchfield, 1754'. Beams from former roof dated 1638 and 1657; another in vestry
dated 1668. 2 lead plates from chancel roof, one inscribed REPAIRED BY/THE
REV/MR TYMMS/1769, the other T.L. D'JNOAS L.L.D/1811. Mid and late c19 stained
glass windows to aisle and chancel and 2 stained glass windows of 1905. Wall
monument to Mary Jane, wife of the Honorable and Reverend T.L. Dundas, d.1827,
and her husband, d.1848, signed Whiting, Northampton. 3 small wall monuments by
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, 1973, p.248; Parish Records).
Listing NGR: SP6906160965
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings