History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Gate House

A Grade II Listed Building in Syresham, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.07 / 52°4'12"N

Longitude: -1.0841 / 1°5'2"W

OS Eastings: 462877

OS Northings: 241690

OS Grid: SP628416

Mapcode National: GBR 9WT.2QZ

Mapcode Global: VHCWD.577G

Plus Code: 9C4W3WC8+29

Entry Name: The Gate House

Listing Date: 4 February 1969

Last Amended: 22 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1041077

English Heritage Legacy ID: 234587

Location: Syresham, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN13

County: Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Syresham

Built-Up Area: Syresham

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Syresham St James the Great

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in


SP64SW (West side)
6/77 The Gate House
04/02/69 (Formerly listed as Syresham
- II

House. c.1920-1925, by C.H. Biddulph-Pinchard. Coursed limestone rubble with
ironstone dressings, parts timber-framed with brick infill, plain tile roofs,
stone ridge stacks. Courtyard plan. C17 in style, incorporating old materials. 2
storeys. Entrance front has central carriage arch with moulded timber surround
and Tudor-arched head in timber framed central bay with oriel window above
entrance on curved brackets. Left wing is timber framed and has 3-light casement
window to first floor centre with 2-light wood mullion and transom window to
left, similar 3-light window to right, all with leaded lights. Wing to right has
central projecting gabled bay with 5-light stone mullion and transom windows to
ground and first floors with hood moulds flanked by similar 3-light windows to
ground floor. Range to rear has similar stone mullion windows. Interior has
dog-leg and open-well staircases with splat balusters and newel posts with ball
finials, mostly re-used material and C17; a small room with fielded panelling,
and timber bolection-moulded fireplace, both of late C17 or early C18 date;
re-used C17 pegged panelling in drawing room which has concealed bookcase door
and bedroom with plaster barrel vaulted ceiling. The house was built in at least
2 stages using materials from the old stone barns and brewhouse previously on
the site. A plan of the entrance and right ranges is illustrated in 'The
Principles of Architectural Composition', Howard Robertson, 1924, fig.132, p.120
when the house was known as Little earth. The remaining ranges were completed
before 1925. That to left is known as the nursery wing.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.422; n.a., The Smaller House,
Architectural Press:1924, pp57-9)

Listing NGR: SP6287741690

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.