This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4014 / 55°24'5"N
Longitude: -1.8968 / 1°53'48"W
OS Eastings: 406630
OS Northings: 611948
OS Grid: NU066119
Mapcode National: GBR H56Z.4K
Mapcode Global: WHB0B.THXJ
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 21 October 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041257
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236210
Location: Whittingham, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Whittingham
Built-Up Area: Whittingham
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Whittingham and Edlingham with Bolton Chapel
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
WHITTINGHAM ROAD TO ESLINGTON
NU 01 SE (North side)
10/125 Church of St.
Parish church. Saxon, C12 and C13 remains. Chancel rebuilt c.1725. Extensively
rebuilt 1840 by John Green for the Rev. Goodenough. Chancel extended and
gothicized 1871 by F.R. Wilson. Vestry added 1906.
Squared stone and ashlar. Welsh slate roof. South porch has stone slate roof.
West tower, 3-bay nave with aisles, south porch, -transepts, chancel and north
Lower stage of tower and west end of nave are Saxon with clear long-and-short
quoins. Upper part of tower demolished 1840 and replaced in battlemented Early-
Lower part of aisle walls have C12 or C13 masonry. C14 window with cusped head
in west end of south aisle. One north aisle window with intersecting tracery
is partly original C14. Other windows, in similar style of 1840.
South porch has pointed arch on plain imposts. C18 sundial on gable. Pointed
tunnel vault inside with 2 chamfered transverse ribs.
Transepts have some C13 masonry in lower courses, largely rebuilt 1840 but in
north transept one original window, with intersecting tracery, now opens into
3-bay chancel has Geometric tracery.
Interior: High round-headed Saxon tower arch with unmoulded imposts. In north-
east corner of nave part of blocked arch, probably C11. South arcade C13 with
octagonal piers and moulded capitals: double-chamfered pointed arches with
dripstones rising from discs with rosettes. Eastern pier has some large dogtooth
at the springing of the arch, Western pier has broaches, responds have leafy
carving. North arcade is 1840 replacement of C12 arcade and is an exact copy
of south arcade. Chancel arch has C13 responds and arch of 1871. Door into
vestry possibly re-used priest's door with 4-centred head and continuous chamfer.
C13 or C14 piscina in south transept. Altar rails, choir stalls and pulpit by
Hicks and Charleswood, probably of 1906. East window has good unsigned glass
of 1880. 6 hatchments to members of Ravensworth family. Marble wall monument
by Craigs, in north transept, to Reginald Goodenough, killed at Sebastapol;
military emblems above the inscription.
Northumberland County History: Vol. XIV.
Whittingham Vale: David Dippie Dixon: Frank Graham. Newcastle, 1974.
Listing NGR: NU0663011948
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings