This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1404 / 55°8'25"N
Longitude: -1.5213 / 1°31'16"W
OS Eastings: 430612
OS Northings: 582999
OS Grid: NZ306829
Mapcode National: GBR K9T0.F3
Mapcode Global: WHC30.L2S3
Entry Name: Coal Staithes at Blyth Power Station
Listing Date: 18 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041382
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235891
Location: East Bedlington, Northumberland, NE24
Civil Parish: East Bedlington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Cambois
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
WANSBECK NORTH BLYTH
NZ 38 SW
6/20 Coal Staithes at
Blyth Power Station
Coal Staithes constructed between c.1910-1923 for the North Eastern Railway Company, altered c. 1994.
The lower level of a set of coal staithes c.375m long of traditional braced timber construction. The structure is formed of substantial timber piles driven into the sea bed carrying a timber deck. The staithes were originally 500m long and comprised three decks with gantries.
HISTORY: Blyth initially developed as a fishing port with ancillary salt pans, but during the later C19 and C20 centuries it became Northumberland's premier coal port and for a brief period in the mid C20 it shipped more coal than any port in Europe. At its peak, the harbour had several sets of staithes, which allowed coal arriving by wagon way and later railway to be dropped from wagons directly into ships. The coal staithes at Blyth power station, known formerly as West Staithes, were the last of the traditional staithes to be built on the River Blyth. Their construction began in c. 1910 for North Eastern Railway Company, but the First World War intervened and they were completed in 1923. The original upper two decks were demolished and the whole structure truncated in 1994/5.
S Linsley 'Ports and Harbours of Northumberland', 2005;
N Pevsner 'The Buildings of England: Northumberland', 2nd edition 1992;
Sir N Cossons 'BP Book of Industrial Archaeology', p142, 1993.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings