This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.4143 / 55°24'51"N
Longitude: -1.7076 / 1°42'27"W
OS Eastings: 418611
OS Northings: 613413
OS Grid: NU186134
Mapcode National: GBR J5JT.3Y
Mapcode Global: WHC1K.R52N
Entry Name: 8-14, Narrowgate
Listing Date: 25 August 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041427
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235798
Location: Alnwick, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Alnwick
Built-Up Area: Alnwick
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Alnwick
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
Nos 8 to 14 (even)
NU 1813 SE 1/72
A pair of early to mid C18 houses with inserted shops. Three storeys, 3 windows
each. Coursed squared rubble, Nos 12 and 14 tooled for rendering; cavetto moulded
eaves cornice; coped verges with kneelers; slate roofs with 3 brick chimneys.
Nos 8 and 10 have glazing bar sash windows, the central 2nd floor window not quite
aligned; Nos 12 and 14 have late glazed sashes. No 8 has a modern shop front with
the burnt out remains of the 'Golden Canister' (shop sign for former tea shop).
No 10 formerly had a bow window which has been turned into a 3-light canted bay.
Between Nos 8 and 10 is a heavily moulded early C18 bolection doorway which led
formerly to Golden Canister Yard. No 12 has a 2 light shop front with an angled
and recessed central door and a modern fascia. No 14 has a 2 light shop window
with 4 upper lights, entered by a flush panel door.
Listing NGR: NU1861813412
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings