This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.4113 / 55°24'40"N
Longitude: -1.7075 / 1°42'26"W
OS Eastings: 418617
OS Northings: 613078
OS Grid: NU186130
Mapcode National: GBR J5JW.40
Mapcode Global: WHC1K.R73Z
Entry Name: 4 and 5, Percy Street
Listing Date: 20 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041437
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235814
Location: Alnwick, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Alnwick
Built-Up Area: Alnwick
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Alnwick
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
Nos 4 and 5
NU 1813 SE 1/86 20.2.52.
Land for Mechanics' Institute and development given 1831 by General Lambert. Two
storey egypto-classical style. Three windows. Ashlar with 4 giant pilasters with
palmette frieze in caps to entablature which has a central panel inscribed 'Scientific
and Mechanical Institution', flanked by dies with carved wreaths. String band
below 1st floor. Glazing bar sash windows with moulded architraves having entablatures
on 1st floor and segmental relieving arches on ground floor with cill brackets.
Central pylon doorway with bracketted entablature having 'Mechanics' Institute'
on lintel; double doors of 4 panels. Kitchen block at rear to Gill's Lane. Designed
by William Smith.
Listing NGR: NU1861313081
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings