This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.4131 / 55°24'47"N
Longitude: -1.707 / 1°42'25"W
OS Eastings: 418646
OS Northings: 613283
OS Grid: NU186132
Mapcode National: GBR J5JV.7C
Mapcode Global: WHC1K.R6BK
Entry Name: Northumberland Hall (Assembly Rooms)
Listing Date: 20 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041460
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235774
Location: Alnwick, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Alnwick
Built-Up Area: Alnwick
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Alnwick
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 1813 SB 1/63 20.2.52.
1826 with octagonal extension 1830;. Built by Duke of Northumberland. Three storeys,
10 windows; ashlar built. Arcade of depressed arches continued round octagonal,
East end with band above; giant order pilasters to moulded cornice; band below
2nd floor; parapet to hipped slate roof. One ridge chimney to west, another on
east end wall. Second-floor window mostly blind (1st floor attic). First floor
windows have glazing bar and casement arrangement for upper windows. Within arcade
a ceiling of long slabs, 1st bay from west blocked and with an upright cast iron
pump outside (disused). Old arrangement of market booths with a smallish window
between doors still largely survives. East end only 2 storeys to octagonal extension;
gable end of main part, articulated with a pediment flanked by 2 giant order pilasters
and having antefixae. At west end, blind central ground floor arch has tablet
commemorating the gift of the Hall by the Duke to the town 1919.
Listing NGR: NU1863913282
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings