This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2074 / 52°12'26"N
Longitude: -0.7367 / 0°44'12"W
OS Eastings: 486420
OS Northings: 257323
OS Grid: SP864573
Mapcode National: GBR CY6.LKK
Mapcode Global: VHDS8.5SW6
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 3 May 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041541
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235590
Location: Yardley Hastings, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Yardley Hastings
Built-Up Area: Yardley Hastings
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Yardley Hastings St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP8657 YARDLEY HASTINGS RECTORY LANE
17/190 (North side)
03/05/68 The Old Rectory
House, formerly rectory. Built 1701 for Reverend Humphry Betty, altered C20,
Coursed limestone rubble faced with brick, plain-tile roof, brick end stacks.
2-unit central-staircase plan. 2 storeys and attic; 5-window range. Main front
is brick-faced and faces south. Central 6-panel door with fanlight, moulded wood
surround in moulded limestone doorway with round-arched head and keyblock, flanked
by narrow brick pilaster strips topped by moulded stone brackets supporting moulded
brick segmental pediment which frames datestone. Door is approached by 5 stone
steps flanked by low curved stone-coped walls. 12-pane sash windows to ground and
1st floors with stone sills and flat-arched heads. That to 1st floor centre has
raised brick surround with scrolled feet and cut brick serpentine ornament to head.
Blank rendered panels to ground and 1st floors either end with panel moulding and
flat-arched heads. 6-pane sashes to basement with segmental-arched heads, wave-
moulded stone-capped plinth, moulded wood eaves with deep plastered eaves cornice,
3 pedimented roof dormers, that to centre with segmental pediment and shaped stone-
coped gables with kneelers. One-storey-and-attic wing to rear left of coursed
limestone rubble and uncertain date possibly pre-dating main structure. Interior:
hall has bolection-moulded marble chimneypiece and fine panelling from Streatlam
Castle, Durham (dem.1933) early C18 with carved drops to narrow panels flanking
overmantel and door to drawing room, and carved wood garlands to overmantel. Drawing
Room has bolection-moulded marble chimneypiece and handsome early-C18 panelling
from Felling Hall, Newcastle, with Ionic pilasters flanking chimneypiece and round-
arched, semi-domed niche to one corner flanked by thin Ionic pilasters. Early
C18 dog-leg staircase brought in from elsewhere with panelled dado and barley-sugar
twist balusters. Passage leading to staircase from front door now forms part of
hall. Painted wood panelling in 1st floor bedrooms. Principal bedroom has
bolection-moulded marble chimneypiece and is flanked by Ionic pilasters as in
drawing room; panelling resembles that from Felling Hall and may come from same
source. House ceased to be rectory in 1935. Panelling probably installed by Mr
& Mrs Peter Wilson owners from 1949, keen furniture collectors.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p472; The Antique Collector June
1968, ppl07-116, illustrating house as furnished by Mr & Mrs Wilson)
Listing NGR: SP8642057323
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings