This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2413 / 52°14'28"N
Longitude: -0.7856 / 0°47'8"W
OS Eastings: 483019
OS Northings: 261045
OS Grid: SP830610
Mapcode National: GBR CXR.D6Y
Mapcode Global: VHDS1.BXKN
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 3 May 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041575
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235459
Location: Cogenhoe and Whiston, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Cogenhoe and Whiston
Built-Up Area: Cogenhoe
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Cogenhoe St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
COGENHOE AND WHISTON CHURCH STREET
SP86SW (East side)
2/60 Church of St. Peter
Church. C13 with older origins, C14 and C15. Restored 1868 by C. Buckeridge.
Coursed squared limestone and ironstone, plain-tile roof to chancel, otherwise
lead roofs. Chancel, vestry, aisled nave, south porch, west tower. 3-bay chancel
of early C13 has stepped triple lancet east window of 1868 and paired lancets to
north and south. Blocked priest's door below south-west window with
Caernarvon-arched head. Vestry to north of 1868 built on foundations of medieval
north chancel chapel; 2-light east window with plate tracery and chamfered door
to north. Nave has 3-bay C15 clerestory of 2-light windows with straight heads
and ogee-arched heads to lights, and plain stone-coped parapet with tall thin
pinnacles to east angles. North aisle has 3-light window to north-east with
straight head and Decorated tracery of 1868, 2-light window to north-west with
Decorated tracery of similar date and 3-light window to west with Perpendicular
tracery. Late C12 north doorway has round-arched head and thin chamfer. South
aisle has C17 east window at high level with moulded stone mullion and jambs,
and wood lintel. 2-light window to south-east with Reticulated tracery and hood
mould with label stops, 2-light window to south-west with Decorated style
tracery of 1868, and 2-light west window with Geometrical tracery of similar
date. Scratch dial to bottom of left jamb of south-east window and blocked
1-light window to left at lower level with cusped ogee-arched head. Late C12
south door has single-stepped pointed arch and shafts with scalloped capitals.
C15 south porch has double-chamfered doorway (outer chamfer continuous,
polygonal responds innermost), small blocked 1-light window above and small
ogee-arched 1-light windows to east and west sides. Tall 3-stage tower has
hollow-chamfered and wave-moulded west door with 4-centred head, shields to
spandrels and many-moulded rectangular surround. 3-light window above with
4-centred head and Perpendicular tracery. Middle stage has square window to west
with cusped diagonal cross tracery and chamfered surround and 1-light window to
south. High 2-light bell-chamber openings with transoms and deep hollow chamfer.
Diagonal offset buttresses and battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles. Plain
stone-coped parapets to porch and aisles. Doors, except blocked priest's door,
all have hood moulds and hood moulds to windows except to square window in tower
and some other minor 1-light windows. Interior: chancel has full-height blank
arcading framing windows with triple shafts, simple moulded capitals, square
moulded abaci and chamfered arches. Middle shafts have fillets and those framing
east window have shaft rings. Double-chamfered arch to north-west to former
chapel with moulded corbels innermost. Group of two aumbries to middle of north
wall with pointed trefoil-headed niche above. Chancel arch has pairs of shafts
framing hollow chamfer, moulded capitals to shafts flanking heads to top of
chamfers, and double-chamfered arch. Nave has 3-bay arcades. Square limestone
piers with attached shafts to angles and hollow chamfers to sides. Moulded
capitals framing heads and shields. Piers of limestone and double-chamfered
arches and responds of ironstone. Perpendicular-style roof with arch-braced
ties, and wall-posts on carved stone head corbels. Tall double-chamfered tower
arch with polygonal responds innermost with moulded capitals and brattishing.
Stain-glass windows to chancel south of 1887 and later stain-glass east window.
Monuments: cross-legged knight believed to be Nicholas de Cogenhoe d.1281.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973; p152; VCH: Northamptonshire: Vol
Listing NGR: SP8301961045
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings