This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0373 / 52°2'14"N
Longitude: -0.9169 / 0°55'0"W
OS Eastings: 474390
OS Northings: 238206
OS Grid: SP743382
Mapcode National: GBR BYR.907
Mapcode Global: VHDT4.2231
Entry Name: Wicken Park
Listing Date: 3 February 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041618
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235358
Location: Wicken, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, MK19
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Wicken
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Wicken St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
9/121 Wicken Park
Country house, now school. Early C18 with possible C16 origins. Wings added and
altered by Thomas Prowse for himself. Extra storey added and other alterations
C19. Limestone ashlar, hipped slate roof, brick internal stacks. 3 storeys with
2-storey wings, 10-window range to north. Double-depth plan. North, present
entrance front has C19 porch to left of centre and sash windows with flat-arched
heads. 3 bays either side of 2-bay centre break forward slightly. 2-storey wings
have canted projections and 3 12-pane sashes to ground and 1st floors with flat
arched heads. Plinth and 1st floor storey band. 9-window garden front to south.
Wings have 2 windows to this side to ground and 1st floor. All sash windows with
flat-arched heads. West side elevation of 3 bays, that to centre breaking
forward slightly. C19 office wing to east. Interior has 2-storey staircase hall
with re-set mid C18 staircase rising to gallery-landing with slim turned
balusters and carved tread ends. Plaster modillion cornice. Dentil and guilloche
pattern plaster cornices to other rooms in west wing, another with reeded
plaster cornice and moulded 6-panel door. Fielded panelling to rooms either end
of south front one with bolection-moulded fireplace, the other with blocked
corner fireplace. Wicken Park was formerly one of the lodges of the Whittlewood
Forest, sold 1716 to Charles Hosier who enlarged it. The house came into the
Prowse family through the marriage of Thomas Prowse of Axbridge, Somerset, to
Elizabeth Sharp, eldest daughter of the Hosiers only child Anna Maria. Their
descendants lived there until 1860 when it was sold to Colonel the Hon. George
Sholto Douglas-Pennent, later Baron Penrhyn, who enlarged the house and restored
and enlarged the Church (q.v.) in memory of his first wife who died 1869. The
Penrhyn family lived at Wicken Park until 1944 when the estate was sold.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire; 1973, p462; C.S. Dickin Moore: Wicken
Church, 1967; H. Colvin: A Dictionary of British Architects: 1978, p667)
Listing NGR: SP7439038206
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings