This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4755 / 55°28'31"N
Longitude: -1.6817 / 1°40'54"W
OS Eastings: 420217
OS Northings: 620231
OS Grid: NU202202
Mapcode National: GBR J5P4.Q0
Mapcode Global: WHC16.4MGS
Plus Code: 9C7WF8G9+58
Entry Name: Church of Saints Philip and James
Listing Date: 31 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041758
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237096
Location: Rennington, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Rennington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Rennington with Rock
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 2020 RENNINGTON ROCK VILLAGE
15/205 Church of
31.12.69 Ss. Philip
Parish church. Mid-C12, chancel perhaps extended in C13; restored 1806;
restored again in 1855 by Salvin,with new bellcote, vestry and apse; north
aisle added 1866 by F.R. Wilson. Squared stone with ashlar apse and dressings;
Scottish slate roof to nave, Welsh slates on other parts. Nave with 3-bay
north aisle, chancel with apse and north vestry. Romanesque style.
Twin-gabled west elevation. Original right part has plinth and corner
pilasters with shafts at angles. Central raised panel contains boarded door
with C-hinges in round-headed arch, with chevron ornament, on jamb shafts
with scalloped capitals. Tegulated hood springs from a string course with
lozenge ornament. Second similar string course on grotesque corbels below
C19 gable with round-headed window between cruciform panels; Romanesque twin-
arched bellcote with moulded finial. West end of aisle has similar central
panel with 2-light window, and World War I memorial plaque below; Maltese
4-bay south nave wall shows flat pilasters and arcaded corbel table; one
narrow C12 loop and two C19 double lancets, with hoodmoulds. North aisle
wall is north wall of old nave rebuilt stone-for-stone: 2 bays with pilasters
and corbel table, one C12 loop and two C19 lancets.
2-bay south chancel wall shows similar pilasters, but corbel table in eastern
bay only; triple and single C19 lancets. On north wall a C12 loop to west of
vestry. Apse corbel table on shafted pilasters; single-light windows with
shafted jambs, moulded arches, and sunk panels beneath.
Interior: West door rear arch has shafted jambs with fluted capitals; 3-bay
arcade has double-chamfered round arches on round piers with scalloped
capitals. Good C12 chancel arch with moulded inner order; towards nave outer
order has zig-zag ornament and enriched hood; both orders on attached jamb
shafts with variously fluted and scalloped capitals; patterned impost block on
north. String with lozenge pattern on east wall of nave above chancel arch.
Triple lancet on south chancel wall has old moulded segmental rear arch with
remains of wall painting. Blocked C13 lancet to east of C19 moulded vestry
doorway. Apse has shafted rear arches and tiled floor. Four shields, three
as roof corbels, with Swinhoe arms (three swine); one with Proctor arms (three
water bougets). C19 roofs; hollow-chamfered eaves cornice broken forward
round corbels carrying arch braces to tie-beam trusses with collars.
Font has triple-stepped square shaft and restored moulded hexagonal bowl.
Organ in north aisle, designed and presented by Robert H.M. Bosanquet, 1881,
built by Messrs. Gray and Davison.
Monuments: On chancel floor a late C12 cross slab with sword and axe. On
south of chancel brass plate to John Salkeld d.1620 and wall tablet, signed
by W. Smith, to Colonel John Salkeld, who 'serv'd King Charles ye 1st wth a
Constant dangerous and Expensive loyalty', d.1705. On north a pedimented
marble plaque to Charlotte Anne Bosanquet d.1830 and a marble plaque with bas-
relief bust, signed by J. Edward of London, to Charles Bosanquet d.1850.
Listing NGR: NU2021720231
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings