This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5108 / 55°30'39"N
Longitude: -1.7064 / 1°42'23"W
OS Eastings: 418640
OS Northings: 624158
OS Grid: NU186241
Mapcode National: GBR J4JQ.CB
Mapcode Global: WHC0Z.RRM5
Entry Name: The Hall
Listing Date: 1 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041781
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237055
Location: Newton-by-the-Sea, Northumberland, NE67
Civil Parish: Newton-by-the-Sea
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Ellingham St Maurice
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 12 SE NEWTON-BY-THE-SEA DOXFORD HALL
2/164 The Hall
House. 1818 by John Dobson for Henry Taylor; enlarged and remodelled 1910 by
Robert Mauchlen. Ashlar: Graduated Lakeland slate roofs except for Welsh
slates on some rear parts. 1818 parts in a plain Grecian style, 1910
extensions in a free Classical style. Overall L-plan.
Entrance (east) front in two parts. Left section is the 2-storey 5-bay main
block. Plinth, 1st floor and sill bands. 3 steps up to central distyle-in-
antis Greek Dorio porch with later glazing. Renewed 12-pane sash windows,
the lower with moulded sills. Plain frieze and boldly-projecting eaves
cornice. Hipped roof. To right is a lower 3-bay wing with similar fenestration
and 2 stepped-and-corniced ridge stacks. On far right the 1910 east wing
projects: 4-bay inner return shows similar fenestration except for projecting
end bay which is a gatehouse. This has broad panelled end pilasters flanking
distyle screen with plain Doric columns and lintels. Moulded and keyed
roundel above, holding sundial, is flanked by 12-pane sashes. Pyramidal roof
with central stepped-and-corniced stacks. In angle of wings is stone external
stair: circular plan, with stair bifurcating around pillar carrying sundial;
balustraded handrails; upper door under quadrant-plan stone canopy with
frieze, swept cap and owl finial.
South front shows similar detail and fenestration.
North elevation: Gatehouse on far left has flat arch on columns with moulded
caps, under cornice and keyed semicircular arch holding domed recess with
statue; flanking circular radial-glazed windows in raised surrounds.
West elevation: Main block has projecting stair wing with large leaded
round-arched window above flat-roofed single-storey extension with pedimented
centre; most windows plain sashes.
Interior largely early C20. Open-well stair with wrought-iron handrail.
Panelled sitting room with carved oak overmantel, ship painting and coffered
plaster ceiling. Dining room in east wing has panelled plaster ceiling, wood
columns and C17-style end fireplace with stone band.
Altered pent-roofed sun lounge at south-west corner is not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NU1864024158
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings